ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The make-up game is on! We will march this Friday, September 24th in a match-up with Woodford County. See our itinerary in the game section below or at this link!
- Help is needed for the band at this game! Visit this Sign-Up Genius to lend a hand!
Congratulations to the many OC Band students that were selected to perform with the Louisville Youth Orchestra this year!
- Abby Hardin, flute, Symphony Orchestra
- Natalie DeSimone, Principal clarinet, Symphony Orchestra
- Will Mettling, tenor saxophone, Symphony Orchestra
- Madison Leger, Principal trumpet, Symphony Orchestra
- Brayden Gossett, trumpet, Symphony Orchestra
- Keaton Fuller, Principal 2nd trombone, Symphony Orchestra
- Hannah Centers, euphonium, Symphony Orchestra
- Maya Otterback, co-principal timpani, Symphony Orchestra
- Paige Perry, Principal flute, Repertory Orchestra
- Hanna Christensen, Rotating Principal horn, Repertory Orchestra
- Emma Christensen, Principal trombone, Repertory Orchestra
**if a student was left off this list, please contact Mr. Centers
- Snap Raise Fundraiser update:
- The Good News: We have raised over $5,000 in the first 5 hours of the campaign! The current total as of Wednesday afternoon is $8,670
- 94% of donations have come from email invites
- 0% have come from text invites
- 4% have come from social media invites
- 2% have come from “other”
- The Bad News: We currently have only 59% of students participating in this fundraiser
- Last year, we raised over $18,000 through Snap Raise with a 78% participation rate. Based on data from Snap Raise, had we hit 80% participation last year, the profit would have exceeded $20k!
- We need to boost our participation!
- We need your help in two ways:
- 1) add emails to your email list in Snap Raise – the goal is 20 emails each
- 2) share out the campaign on social media and through texts – you can do this inside the Snap Raise website – if you do it from the website, it will link back to the student’s account!
- We need your help in two ways:
- Thank you for your help and support with this great fundraiser campaign!
- The Good News: We have raised over $5,000 in the first 5 hours of the campaign! The current total as of Wednesday afternoon is $8,670
- ALL returning and freshman male students MUST be fitted for tuxedos. If you missed fitting night, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a fitting. Tux shirts and concert gowns will be distributed THIS WEEK. ALL payments need to be received ASAP and may be turned in at Thursday rehearsal or the box in the band room – Tux shirts $17, Gowns $55 (“OCHS Band Boosters”). No items will be distributed to students unless payment has been received. Please contact email@example.com for any payment related questions or to adjust payments.
- Band Lost and Found: Several items have been left behind in the band room. These items are placed in the lost and found location next to the band room exterior doors. Some items include: a grey jacket, several metal and hard plastic water bottles, socks, gloves, percussion mallet bag, ladies black flats, marching shoes (no name on box), two white tuxedo shirts (size XS and 3XL)
- 2022 Orlando Band Trip:
- Payment for 2022 Orlando trip was due last Friday. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you missed this payment or if your student forgot to turn it in.
- The next payment is due on October 8th.
- See the trip section below for details!
U of L All-State Workshop:
- An updated tentative schedule is available here
- The sign up for UofL Workshop has closed. Mr. Centers will submit the names of those students who signed up on time. UofL is limiting numbers and will notify him if we have exceeded the room capacity due to COVID protocols.
- The schedule has been adjusted to reflect the new workshop times
- Students will need to bring money for dinner
- We will need two parent volunteers/chaperones to assist with this trip on Sept. 29. Sign-up here to chaperone this event!
- NOTE: the all-state workshop dates/times are subject to change due to COVID protocols on campus at Uof L. Currently, Uof L is asking everyone on campus to mask when indoors.
The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- Band Letter Jackets and Additional Spirit Wear
- Letterman Jackets and Band Spirit Wear can be ordered now. Due to timing constraints, there will only be one fitting date for the Letterman Jackets. The fitting will be Thursday, September 23rd immediately following practice. We will try for having the fittings in the band room but might need to be flexible. Please wear a mask during the fitting. Please bring your completed order form with the full payment amount for the jackets and /or spirit wear. The checks should be made to OCHS Band Boosters. (If you are not sure of jacket sizing, leave blank and we will complete the size at the fitting.) Should you need to make payment arrangements or if you have questions regarding the merchandise, please contact Erika Watt email@example.com with BAND INFO in the Subject Line or Text/Call 502-294-5624. This is an elective purchase and isn’t required. A portion of the proceeds for these sales will be donated back to the band.
- Order Forms will be posted on the OCHS BAND Website or you may use the links below.
- October 13 “Halloween Concert”
- Our first band concert will be Wednesday, October 13 at Oldham County Middle School. Students must be in place in the gym by 5:30pm to be ready to rehearse with the 8th grade students from EOMS and OCMS. This Halloween Themed concert is always a fun event that allows our upcoming middle school students to get to know the high school students. All students will be permitted to dress up for this concert. Costumes must be appropriate and allow for the ability to perform on the instrument. The concert will begin at 7:00pm
- SEEKING MARCHING UNIFORM COMMITTEE MEMBERS! No experience necessary. Areas of need include: washing/care of marching uniforms, hemming of pants, helping students dress in uniform before ball games, pluming of shako hats (before/after games), helping with uniform fittings in the spring. If you are interested in helping in one or more of the following or have any additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance for all our volunteers!
- We are in the process of compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form usingthis link.
- We have openings for Committee Coordinators. See the listing below and email President@ochs.band if interested.
- Thursday after school practices are from 4-6 pm through October.
HOME GAME BAND SCHEDULE- SEPTEMBER 24th
You’re on your own for food today; you can have something brought to
you, Subway, etc. BE ON TIME for the run-through, whatever you do!
- 5:15pm Warm up and Run-Through Show at “original” band practice field (behind school)
- 6:00pm Dress in Marching Band Uniform
- Wear your band t-shirt, athletic shorts, black socks under the uniform
- 6:30pm All in warm up arcs outside in front of band room
- – Everyone with flip folders
- – Woodwinds bring cases
- – Rehearse Star Spangled Banner
- 6:45pm Line up in block
- 6:50pm March to stadium
- 7:00pm Move to bleachers (to your assigned rows)
- 7:23pm (approximate time): Star Spangled Banner
- -followed by School Song when OC Football Team enters
- 7:30pm Kickoff
- 8:30pm (approximate time) Halftime show
- – Students will have 3rd quarter to go to concessions
- – Be back in stands for 4th quarter
- 10:15pm (approximate time) End of game;
- Band line up in block (4 lines) on track and return to band room
- 10:30pm Change out of uniforms – Hang correctly and place in garment bags properly
Students will be in uniform for this game.
- You will need BLACK CREW LENGTH SOCKS and Black Marching Shoes.
- Wear your 2021 band shirt and athletic shorts under uniforms.
Half Time Songs:
- Malaguena, (drum cadence), September, Mr. Blue Sky
- Be sure to bring stand tunes and other songs in your flip folder
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information: Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
We had our first “Level Up Day” recently and since that first day, approximately 30 students have leveled up with Mr. Centers, private teachers, and section coaches! Take a moment to read about this and to ask your student what their level is!
- The Band Levels Program is a skills based learning program that takes students through the most basic skills to more advanced levels in a systematic and logical manner. Students progress through the levels at their own pace and tracks their progress through all four years of high school
- Students are graded on their levels progress (Level 1 through Level 10).
- Students have many options for “leveling up”: students can schedule a time with Mr. Centers in the morning before school, during LEAD time, after school, and during “level up days” in class. Students may also “level up” with approved private teachers and section coaches.
- Online submissions for LEVELS is now available. Students who have completed Level 1 may submit levels items online through Google Classroom using the Google Form found in Assignments. Students can still sign up for times with Mr. Centers before school, after school, or during LEAD. Students may also still “Level Up” with section coaches/lesson teachers.
BAND PHOTO REQUEST:
- Say cheese!!! Did you capture any great pics of the band in action? Please upload them to this location! It is a tradition to have a slideshow at our end of year celebration – pictures and videos saved here are the perfect way to be sure all band members and events are celebrated!
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN UP FOR REMIND TEXTS
OPTION 1: If you have a smartphone, get push notifications.
On your iPhone or Android phone,
- Open your web browser and go to the following link: rmd.at/ocband22
- Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind.
- You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app. rmd.at/ocband22
- Join OCBAND** (use the appropriate numbers here for your student’s graduation year)
You will need to sign up for the “class” that represents your student’s graduation year
- SENIORS: OCBAND22
- JUNIORS: OCBAND23
- SOPHOMORES: OCBAND24
- FRESHMAN: OCBAND25
Full Name First and Last Name, Phone Number or Email Address
EX: (555) 555-5555
If you don’t have a smartphone, in order to receive text notifications:
- Text the message @ocband** (use the appropriate graduation year numbers here) to the number 81010.
- If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @ocband** (see note above) to (502) 603-6027.
“NEW TO BAND” PARENT INFORMATION:
“NEW TO BAND” Band Parent Meeting Follow Up: Information about what goes on during the band year and how the boosters help make the band happen was shared at a recent meeting. If you were unable to attend or would like another look, the New to Band Parent Meeting Information can be found at this link.
BAND TRIP 2022
Below is a link to the documents handed out during the Band Trip Meeting along with an additional sheet that has information for Parents/Families that want to book the trip without the Bus Transportation ($400 less).
The next payment is due Friday, October 8th.
Band Trip Info from Taylor Tours: Below is a link that will allow you to purchase the Group Travel Protection Plan for your trip. Rates are based on overall trip cost and not age. You will need to enter your full trip cost for accurate coverage. You will need to make your purchase prior to final trip payment in order to qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver. Please view the group marketing for rates and schedule of coverages then click the link to purchase. You can purchase one plan at a time. For questions on the plan, coverage or procedures, please contact the Group Desk at Travel Insured 844‑440‑8113.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Emails: Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to email@example.com.
- Facebook: The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- Contact Information: For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates—Summer & Fall 2021
(Football Games are in their own section below.)
- After School Rehearsals: Every Thursday; August 12—end of marching season
- Mon., Sept 20, Band Booster Meeting, 7pm
- Thurs. Sept 23, Letterman Jacket Fittings immediately following practice. Due to timing constraints, there will only be one fitting date for the Letterman Jackets.
- Wed., Sept 29: UofL All-State Workshop (optional, no fee)
- Fri. Oct 8, Band Trip Payment Due
- Mon. Oct 11, Band Booster Meeting
- Wed., Oct 13: Halloween Concert with OCMS & EOMS at OCMS
- Fall Break October 18-22
- Sat., Nov. 13: UofL Marching Band Day (optional – $20 fee)
- Sat., Nov. 20: All-State First Round Auditions (All-District Auditions) @ OCHS
- Sat., Dec. 11: All-State Final Round Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Sat. Dec. 11: All-State Jazz Band Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Fri.-Sat., Jan. 7-8: All-District Band Weekend
- Tue., Jan. 25: KMEA Conference Preview Performance (Symphonic Band 1)
- Wed.-Sat., Feb. 2-5: KMEA All-State Ensembles and State Conference
- Fri., Feb. 4: KMEA Conference Performance at KICC (Louisville) (Symphonic Band 1)
- Sat. March 5: KMEA Solo and Ensemble Assessment at NOHS
- Tues., March 8: KMEA Assessment Preview Concert at OCHS
- Wed.-Fri., March 16-18: KMEA Large Ensemble Assessment (exact date/time will be set by KMEA)
- April 2-8: OCHS Florida Band Trip (optional)
- Week of April 18: Recital Night (Date TBD)
- Week of April 25: Chamber Ensemble Concert (Date TBD)
- Week of May 16: GALA Concert (Date TBD)
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- September 24th v. Woodford County – This make-up game is happening! See details in the game section above or at this link.
- October 8th v. Eastern (7:00 start) Marching Band Home Game, 8 th Grade Night
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night) Marching Band Home Game, Senior Night
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
- Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- Committee Coordinators
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below will have Senior parent next year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email President@ochs.band if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email President@ochs.band or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.