Weekly Band News: April 24 – April 30
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- PRISM Concert: An OCHS Band Chamber Ensemble Concert will be held on Tuesday, April 26 at 7PM in the OCHS Auditorium
- Promotional Poster for the PRISM Concert
- Performing students will meet in the auditorium at 5:00pm for a staging rehearsal
- Performing students should wear all black
- Concert Begins at 7:00pm (Auditorium will open at 6:30pm for audience, the balcony will be closed to the audience)
- The Final Band Concert will be held on Monday, May 16 at the OCHS Auditorium
- This concert will feature all our band classes
- Share this promotional poster for the concert on your social media and email to friends and family
- KMEA State Assessment tentative Schedule has OCHS Bands on Tuesday, May 10 at the University of Louisville School of Music.
- We will leave at 1pm – this will give plenty of time for those students taking the AP English Lang test in the morning to eat lunch and change. A full schedule will be released once the times are confirmed with the KMEA state assessment manager.
- The May 23 OCHS Band meeting for returning and incoming band families will be postponed due to the OCMS 8th Grade Promotion night that is being hosted at OCHS on the same night. Parking and building access will prevent us from holding our meeting on the 23rd. Mr. Centers is working to secure an alternate date for this end of year meeting before summer vacation begins.
- Graduation will be held on Saturday, May 28 at the Kentucky International Convention Center (Please note the update to the location). We have been asked by the administration to provide music for the ceremony. This is after school has concluded for the year, however we will need freshman, sophomore, and junior students to perform for this very special occasion.
- Current Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior students must notify Mr. Centers in writing by May 1 if they cannot attend this performance.
- Drum Major audition packets are available in the band room for all students interested in auditioning for a Drum Major position for 2022-23 school year
- The 6th and 7th Period Bands along with the Percussion students have qualified for KMEA State Concert Assessment. This will occur at the University of Louisville on May 9 or 10 and will be scheduled by KMEA officials by mid-April.
- The OCHS Trumpet Ensemble will present a concert on Friday, May 6 at OCHS Auditorium.
- Solo and Ensemble Assessment Event (S&E) RECAP
- All students must fill out the Google Form found in their Google Classroom to receive their final credit for S&E
- Any student who was ill or missed their performance at S&E for an excused absence must make up the S&E performance with Mr. Centers to receive their performance grade. See Mr. C to schedule an appointment
- The Band Banquet date has been set for Friday, April 29th at 7pm
- Each family will be asked to bring a dessert. Desserts should be bite size and shareable with minimal mess.
- We will also need cases of water for the banquet. Please sign up to donate water at this link.
- Senior Banners need to be turned in for display at the banquet. Please leave them on the counter outside Mr. Centers office ASAP. They will be returned to the Seniors afterwards.
- Spring Flower Fundraiser
- Flowers will be delivered Wednesday, April 27 and can be picked up after school.
- We will need 5 or 6 parents to help with the delivery on April 27 at 1:00pm. Sign up to help at this link.
- Concert Recording from December Band Concert
- There are two CD/DVD recordings that have not been picked up. These are located on the dry erase board in the band room
- If you ordered an audio recording (MP3) that was to be emailed to you and you have not yet received it, please contact Brad Ritchie at [email protected]
- Summer Band Dates:
- 2022-2023 Officers and Coordinators
- As we turn the page to 2022, the OCHS Band Boosters is looking for parents to volunteer for next year in Committee Coordinator positions. Many of the parents that currently hold these positions are Senior parents and we want to make sure there is enough time for transition to happen.
- Please email at [email protected] if you are interested in filling a Committee Coordinator role or want more information.
- Note: One position that could use shadowing ASAP is Band Web Support.
- ALL-DISTRICT BAND RECORDINGS:
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- We are compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form using this link.
- Summer Music Camp Opportunities for high school students off campus
CONCERT BAND PRACTICE REMINDERS:
Concert Band practices will be from 4 pm – 5:15 pm on Wednesdays for Symphonic Band 1 and Thursday for Symphonic Band 2.
SIGHT READING FACTORY ACCOUNTS:
- Click here for information regarding the REQUIRED Sight Reading Factory accounts for OC Band students
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information: Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
We communicate band news through various channels. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Emails: Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
- Facebook: The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- Band Website
- REMIND Text for OCHS Band: Remind Texts will be used to notify band parents of any special announcements or reminders
- This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
- CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN UP FOR REMIND TEXTS
- Contact Information: For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates – 2021 & 2022 School Year
- May TBD: Jazz Cafe
- Concert Band Rehearsals:
- Symphonic Band is on Wednesdays from 4pm – 5:15pm.
- Concert Band is on Thursday from 4 pm – 5:15 pm.
- April 26: PRISM Concert, Chamber Ensemble Concert, 7pm OCHS Auditorium
- April 27: Spring Flower Fundraiser Flower Delivery
- April 29: Band Banquet, OCHS Gymnasium
- May 5: Trumpet Ensemble Concert, OCHS Auditorium
- May 9 10: KMEA State Band Assessment at UofL
- May 16: End of Year band Concert
- May (Exact Date TBD), Returning/Incoming Band Meeting in conjunction with May Booster Meeting
- May 28: Graduation Ceremony (Band will perform) at KICC downtown Louisville
- July 25-29: Band Camp 2022 at OCHS
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.
Past Emails and other important information can be found on the OCHS Band Website at https://ochs.band.
2022-2023 OCHS BAND BOOSTERS OFFICER/COORDINATORS INFORMATION
There are two groups for OCHS Band Boosters: Officers and Committee Coordinators. Current holders of these positions are in the attached spreadsheet along with their email addresses.
Committee Coordinator Positions: These positions are not elected. Multiple parents can share the coordinator position if desired.
Below is a list of the committees that we currently know need to be filled for next year. The best way to find out more details on the committee’s role and responsibility is to contact the current coordinator. Current holders of these positions are in the attached spreadsheet along with their email addresses.
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
- Pictures/End of Year PowerPoint
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Alumni Coordinator
- All District–Need 1 parent work with parent who shadowed this year
- Drum Major Stand/Stage Setup & Breakdown
- Large Instrument Truck