Weekly Band News: September 29 – October 5
4:30 a.m. Band room opens
Load equipment—on truck
5:30 a.m. Leave for Louisville
6:15 Dropoff equipment and students at Trager Center
Truck moves to Patrick Henry Hughes field parking lot
6:30 Registration; move to the stadium for rehearsal
7:30 Rehearsal in stadium
8:10 University admissions/School of Music presentation
8:50 Move to Trager Center to store instruments
10:00 CARD MARCH
Following Card March, you will receive game tickets and
will be escorted to your seats (we will have a guide….)
10:30 Present your game ticket to enter the stadium
11:30 Watch the Cardinal Marching Band pregame show
2nd quarter PERFORMERS return to Trager Center
(parent/siblings remain in the stadium)
Prepare for halftime performance
Following halftime, we will return to Trager Center, pack up equipment, and return to the stadium for the rest of the game.
4:30 (est.) Game ends
Walk as a group to Trager Center, gather equipment, and return to our bus and truck at Patrick Henry Hughes Field
5:15 Leave for home
6:00 (est.) Home Sweet Buckner
NOTE: U of L has a “clear bag” policy for items brought into the stadium. Suggestion: minimize what you carry in!
U of L athletics is no longer providing meal vouchers for Band Day participants. You will need to plan accordingly and bring sufficient $$ for food at the concession areas in the stadium. It would be a good idea to bring a snack to eat before rehearsal, too (you can’t bring food/drink into the stadium…).
Music for your performance has been posted at rogersbrad.eboard.com under the “Information” tab AND in Google Classroom or at this link University of Louisville Band Day Sheet Music
Dress: DARK jeans (no holes, please!!), tennis shoes. You will receive a red, long-sleeved event t-shirt to wear for the performance. Watch the weather, and plan accordingly. You can find a copy of the day’s schedule and information here Official University of Louisville Band Day Schedule.
Homecoming Parade – Thursday, October 10
The band will remain at school following after-school rehearsal on Thursday, October 10th to participate in the Homecoming Parade (break 6:00-6:30, move to OCMS, parade at 7, finish around 7:30.) Parade route will be on Colonel Dr between OCMS and OCHS football field.
Senior Night / Homecoming Ballgame – Friday, October 11
- The band’s final half-time performance of the season will be Oct 11.
- Senior band members will be recognized from the pressbox before the game and in the bandroom with cupcakes after the game.
- A tailgate meal of Chick-Fil-A sandwiches will be served before the game, with parent volunteers bringing chips/desserts/water.
- Many of our Senior parents’ pre-game “jobs” will need to be filled in with other volunteers. Seniors and their parents must be on the track to line up for recognition well before the start of the game.
Volunteer needs for Senior Night Ballgame
- Tailgate meal setup/cleanup and chips/desserts/water. Please click on this link to signup:
- For the game, we need volunteers to move drum major stands to stadium, move iced water bottles to stadium, hand out water to students during 1st & 2nd quarter, take pictures of students 1st, 2nd & 4th quarter, take pictures during half-time on the field, help with last minute uniform needs/mishaps, open gate at stadium for band to march through, and to sit in the band section of the stadium during half-time and 3rd quarter to keep student body from walking through and damaging instruments. Please click on this link to signup: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-volunteers1
- Graeter’s ice cream sales before and during the game. Please click on this link to signup: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-graeters
- Volunteers to bring 1 dozen average-sized cupcakes for the band students to enjoy after the game in honor of the Senior classmates. Photographers to photograph the Seniors and their families before the game and during the Senior parade. Please click this link to signup for either of these 2 needs: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-cupcakes1
Senior Band Students
Please fill out the online form with your accomplishments and future plans prior to this Friday, Oct 4. This form will be read from the pressbox during Senior recognition before the game. After filling out the form online, print a copy and give to Mr. Rogers. The form can be found at:
Katie Fuller is compiling a band directory to be published among the band members after Fall Break. Participation in the directory is completely voluntary. If you wish to be included in the directory, please complete the online form found at:
National High School Honor Band
The John Philip Sousa Foundation offers a National High School Honor Band clinic every two years; the next opportunity is June 24-27, 2020.
The event will be held in Massachusetts, with rehearsals at The Bromfield School in Harvard, MA and the concert at historic Mechanics Hall in Worcester, MA. The band will be conducted by Michael J. Colburn (currently director fo the Wind Ensemble at Butler University, Indianapolis, IN, and former conductor of the United States Marine Band in Washington, DC).
Auditions for the Honors Band are due no later than January 1, 2020; early is better. Audition materials and information can be found at www.sousafoundation.net (look in the menu on the left for National HS Honors Band).
We certainly have players in our group that would be capable of performing in this ensemble! All are encouraged to check it out!
This is the FINAL week for Snapraise donations. Students, please look at your account and make sure you have submitted 20 working emails. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this fundraiser! We appreciate you so much!
Important Dates To Remember
October 5th – U of L Band Day
October 10th – Last Thursday after-school marching band rehearsal (4:00-6:00pm) followed by Homecoming Parade ending at 7:30.
October 11th – Home Football Game (Senior Night/Homecoming)
October 14th – Symphonic Band I 3:45-5:00pm (Monday-starts concert band sequence)
October 15th – Symphonic Band II 3:45-5:00pm (Tuesday-starts concert band sequence)
October 16th – Halloween Concert at EOMS
October 21st-25th – Fall Break
November 4th – WKU All State Audition Clinic
November 7th – 10th NAfME All National Honors Ensembles, Orlando FL
November 14th – Fall Concert 7:00pm
November 15th – Jazz Café I 7:00pm
November 18th – 22nd Seating Auditions (makeups 25th and 26th)
November 21st 5th District Auditions at OCHS
November 24th -26th EKU Honor’s Band
November 27th-29th – Thanksgiving Break
December 14th – All State Auditions (John Hardin High School)
December 17th – Holiday Concert
December 18th- 21st – Midwest Int’l Band and Orchestra Clinic
The updated full band schedule can be found on the band website at https://ochs.band.