Weekly Band News: Sept 5 – Sept 11
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Thank you to all who gifted their time and helped with concert attire fittings!
- ALL returning and freshman male students MUST be fitted for tuxedos. If you missed fitting night, contact [email protected] to schedule a fitting. Tux shirts and concert gowns will be distributed THIS WEEK. ALL payments need to be received ASAP and may be turned in at Thursday rehearsal or the box in the band room – Tux shirts $17, Gowns $55 (“OCHS Band Boosters”). No items will be distributed to students unless payment has been received. Please contact [email protected] for any payment related questions or to adjust payments.
- Say cheese!!! Did you capture any great pics of the band in action? Please upload them to this location! It is a tradition to have a slideshow at our end of year celebration – pictures and videos saved here are the perfect way to be sure all band members and events are celebrated!
- Mums Pick Up Info! This Thursday, September 9, is the delivery day for our mums from 4:30 – 6:30 pm. We will be set up in the front of OCHS.
- All mum orders must be picked up this Thursday during the pick-up window. The band has no place to store the mums. Thank you for planning ahead!
- Everyone will sign off indicating that your order is complete and accurate before driving away.
- Due to limited space our pick-up process will be different than in the past. We will have two teams working to fill orders. Please cue up your car and wait until we can fill your order.
- We need volunteers to help our mum delivery run smoothly! Please sign up on this Sign-Up Genius to help organize, hand out mums and clean up from 4-7. Thank you to everyone who has made this a successful fundraiser for all of our band students.
- Our next Football Game is September 10th. We will need volunteers for this game as well. Note: A tailgate meal will not be provided for this game.
- Fall Football Game Help (setting up, selling ice cream, monitoring equipment/stands…) Sign up here!
- Uniform Plans for this Football Game:
- *Full marching uniform with shako hats
- *Students need to wear band t shirt and lightweight athletic shorts
- *Don’t forget Dinkle shoes and medium height black socks.
- 2022 Orlando Band Trip:
- Next payment is due this Friday, September 10th by the end of school. This payment is $300 per student and ranges from $305 to $389 per person for Chaperones depending on room status. Someone will be available to receive payments at the end of practice on Thursday or students can drop them off in the band safe any time up to end of school on Friday.
- See the trip section below for access to details!
- Symphonic Band 1 Photo Session:
- We will have a photo session for Symphonic Band 1 (along with percussion that perform with this ensemble) at OCHS after school on Tuesday, September 14 from 3:45 – 5:00pm. Students will change into concert attire after school then report to the auditorium for the photo session. This photo will be used by KMEA for promotional purposes for the KMEA State Conference.
- October 13 “Halloween Concert”
- Our first band concert will be Wednesday, October 13 at Oldham County Middle School. Students must be in place in the gym by 5:30pm to be ready to rehearse with the 8th grade students from EOMS and OCMS. This Halloween Themed concert is always a fun event that allows our upcoming middle school students to get to know the high school students. All students will be permitted to dress up for this concert. Costumes must be appropriate and allow for the ability to perform on the instrument. The concert will begin at 7:00pm
- Thursday after school practices are from 4-6 pm through October.
- Annual Snap Raise Fundraiser:
- We will be kicking off our annual Snap Raise fundraiser in a few weeks on Sept 14. This donation-only fundraiser has been one of our largest fundraisers each year and has raised the band tens of thousands of dollars over the years! This fundraiser is completely online and there is nothing to sell – it is our yearly donation campaign. In order to be successful, students will need the help of their parents/guardians to compile a list of email addresses for each student’s Snap Raise campaign.
- Instructions for Snap Raise will be given to students in class and through google classroom next week.
- Students and parents will need to set up their accounts Sept 7-10 and enter 20 email addresses prior to kicking off this fundraiser.
- UofL All-State Workshop:
- Information for the University of Louisville All-State Workshop will be released very soon. The workshop will be held on Sept. 29 at the UofL School of Music. Buses to and from the workshop will be provided by the band.
- A tentative schedule is available here
- Students can sign up here
- We will need two parent volunteers/chaperones to assist with this trip on Sept. 29.
- NOTE: the all-state workshop dates/times are subject to change due to COVID protocols on campus at UofL. Currently, UofL is asking everyone on campus to mask when indoors. Additionally, bell covers may be required. Students, please locate the bell cover you used last year just in case.
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- SEEKING MARCHING UNIFORM COMMITTEE MEMBERS! No experience necessary. Areas of need include: washing/care of marching uniforms, hemming of pants, helping students dress in uniform before ball games, pluming of shako hats (before/after games), helping with uniform fittings in the spring. If you are interested in helping in one or more of the following or have any additional questions, please contact us at [email protected]. Thank you in advance for all our volunteers!
- We are in the process of compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form using this link.
- We have openings for Committee Coordinators. See the listing below and email [email protected] if interested.
Letterman Jackets and Band Spirit Wear can be ordered now!
Due to timing constraints, there will only be one fitting date for the Letterman Jackets. The fitting will be Thursday, September 23rd immediately following practice. We will try to have the fittings in the band room but might need to be flexible. Please wear a mask during the fitting.
Please bring your completed letterman jacket order form and / or your completed Spirit Wear order form with the full payment amount for the jackets and / or spirit wear. The checks should be made to OCHS Band Boosters.
If you are not sure of jacket sizing, leave this field blank and we will complete the size at the fitting. Should you need to make payment arrangements or if you have questions regarding the merchandise, please contact Erika Watt [email protected] with BAND INFO in the Subject Line or Text/Call 502-294-5624.
This is an elective purchase and isn’t required. A portion of the proceeds for these sales will be donated back to the band.
Links are also below.
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information: Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN UP FOR REMIND TEXTS
OPTION 1: If you have a smartphone, get push notifications.
On your iPhone or Android phone,
● Open your web browser and go to the following link: rmd.at/ocband22 ● Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind.
● You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app. rmd.at/ocband22
● Join OCBAND** (use the appropriate numbers here for your student’s graduation year)
You will need to sign up for the “class” that represents your student’s graduation year
● SENIORS: OCBAND22
● JUNIORS: OCBAND23
● SOPHOMORES: OCBAND24
● FRESHMAN: OCBAND25
● Full Name First and Last Name, Phone Number or Email Address
EX: (555) 555-5555
If you don’t have a smartphone, in order to receive text notifications:
● Text the message @ocband** (use the appropriate graduation year numbers here) to the number 81010.
● If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @ocband** (see note above) to (502) 603-6027.
“NEW TO BAND” PARENT INFORMATION:
“NEW TO BAND” Band Parent Meeting Follow Up: Information about what goes on during the band year and how the boosters help make the band happen was shared at a recent meeting. If you were unable to attend or would like another look, the New to Band Parent Meeting Information can be found at this link.
BAND TRIP 2022
Below is a link to the documents handed out during the Band Trip Meeting along with an additional sheet that has information for Parents/Families that want to book the trip without the Bus Transportation ($400 less).
The next payment is due September 10th.
Band Trip Info from Taylor Tours: Below is a link that will allow you to purchase the Group Travel Protection Plan for your trip. Rates are based on overall trip cost and not age. You will need to enter your full trip cost for accurate coverage. You will need to make your purchase prior to final trip payment in order to qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver. Please view the group marketing for rates and schedule of coverages then click the link to purchase. You can purchase one plan at a time. For questions on the plan, coverage or procedures, please contact the Group Desk at Travel Insured 844‑440‑8113.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates—Summer & Fall 2021
(Football Games are in their own section below.)
- After School Rehearsals: Every Thursday; August 12—end of marching season
- Tue., Sept 14: Symphonic Band 1 Photo Session (along with percussion that perform with this ensemble) at OCHS after school from 3:45 – 5:00pm.
- Wed., Sept 29: UofL All-State Workshop (optional, no fee)
- Wed., Oct 13: Halloween Concert with OCMS & EOMS at OCMS
- Fall Break October 18-22
- Sat., Nov. 13: UofL Marching Band Day (optional – $20 fee)
- Sat., Nov. 20: All-State First Round Auditions (All-District Auditions) @ OCHS
- Sat., Dec. 11: All-State Final Round Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Sat. Dec. 11: All-State Jazz Band Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Fri.-Sat., Jan. 7-8: All-District Band Weekend
- Tue., Jan. 25: KMEA Conference Preview Performance (Symphonic Band 1)
- Wed.-Sat., Feb. 2-5: KMEA All-State Ensembles and State Conference
- Fri., Feb. 4: KMEA Conference Performance at KICC (Louisville) (Symphonic Band 1)
- Sat. March 5: KMEA Solo and Ensemble Assessment at NOHS
- Tues., March 8: KMEA Assessment Preview Concert at OCHS
- Wed.-Fri., March 16-18: KMEA Large Ensemble Assessment (exact date/time will be set by KMEA)
- April 2-8: OCHS Florida Band Trip (optional)
- Week of April 18: Recital Night (Date TBD)
- Week of April 25: Chamber Ensemble Concert (Date TBD)
- Week of May 16: GALA Concert (Date TBD)
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- September 10th v. Meade County, Marching Band Home Game
- October 8th v. Eastern (7:00 start) Marching Band Home Game, 8 th Grade Night
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night) Marching Band Home Game, Senior Night
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
- Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- Committee Coordinators
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below will have Senior parent next year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email [email protected] if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email [email protected] or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
President – Chad Adams
Vice President – Brandon Gossett
Secretary – Melissa Gossett
Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.