Weekly Band News October 25 – October 31
- There is a chance of Friday’s game being affected by COVID. We are going to hold off sending ticket information until Monday evening hoping that more information can be confirmed. The game schedule will be sent Monday as well.
- Food for the Game: One of our Corporate Sponsors, Bully’s BBQ will provide food for the band before the game. A meat option and vegan option will be provided. No Google Form Required.
- Total raised in the SnapRaise! Fundraiser was $18,963. Thank you to everyone who participated.
- Trumpet and Clarinet KMEA Audition corrections can be found by clicking here.
- Health Check Form must be completed prior to arriving at rehearsal/games each day (when the student has NOT been in the School Building that day.) Health Check Link: https://forms.gle/
- The next Band Booster Meeting will be Monday, November 16th at 7:00pm via zoom. We hope you will attend!
SIGHT READING FACTORY
All OCHS band students have been provided a one year subscription to SightReading Factory. This will be used periodically for graded assignments, but is also a great tool to build this important musical skill through individual practice. Many upperclassmen already have an account from last school year, but incoming students will need to create their accounts.
Students can follow these steps to activate or renew a subscription using your new student code:
If a student is activating a SRF account for the first time:
- Go to www.sightreadingfactory.
- Enter ffyu4m in the Student Code field.
- Select the appropriate age group.
- Complete the registration information.
If a student has had a SRF account in the past and is renewing their account:
- The student should log in to their existing account and go to www.sightreadingfactory.com/student.
- Enter ffyu4m in the Student Code field.
- Click "Extend Subscription".
We will get started with SightReading Factory after our fall break.
Below are some helpful links with information on student accounts and classroom management/assessment features.
Feature Focus: Student Accounts
Feature Focus: Assignments for Educators
Feature Focus: Assignments for Students
Feature Focus: Customization
Feature Focus: Custom Levels
Music Educator FAQ
Here is a recording of a recent webinar to help you get started.
Please let me know if you have any questions as you are getting started!
UNIFORMS – Any questions, please e-mail [email protected]
Concert dresses will be distributed this week. Dresses must be hemmed (floor length with black dress flats/1” pumps – NO HEELS) prior to first performance. If you have not yet paid, please bring check for $55 made out to “OCHS BAND BOOSTERS”. Questions or recommendations for hemming – please email [email protected]
Tux shirts will be distributed after fall break when freshmen are fitted for tuxedos. Please bring check for $17 made out to “OCHS BAND BOOSTERS”.
ALL uniforms will need to be laundered prior to returning to the band room after fall break. Instructions for cleaning will follow in Sunday’s Booster email and will be posted on Facebook. Please return any borrowed Dinkles clean in the marching uniform bag.
OCHS MARCHING BAND UNIFORM CARE AND CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS
Cleaning of the Marching Band uniform is each student / parent’s responsibility at the end of the season.
Items needing cleaning:
- Bib pants
- Marching band jacket
- Borrowed Dinkles (shoes)
Make sure they are all in the bag when returning (Gauntlets do not require cleaning this year but must be returned in the uniform bag).
Things to not leave in the bag – Socks, t-shirts, trash, anything except the above.
Transport the uniform using the black uniform bag. Don’t keep or transport shoes in the bag, unless they are the borrowed Dinkles (shoes).
PLEASE USE LIQUID DETERGENT ONLY!
- Do not use powder detergent or bleach, or detergent with bleach additive. Shout can be used on stains.
WASH IN COLD WATER ALONE ON A DELICATE/MILD CYCLE
DO NOT PUT THE JACKET IN THE DRYER—HANG TO DRY
BIB PANTS CAN BE BRIEFLY PUT IN DRYER ON LOW, THEN HANG WHILE DAMP.
MAKE SURE THE UNIFORM HAS HUNG DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE RETURNING TO THE BLACK UNIFORM BAG
MAKE SURE THE STURDY METAL HANGER IT CAME HOME ON GOES BACK WITH IT.
RETURN UNIFORM TO BAND ROOM BY OCTOBER 30!
Lost or damaged uniform parts will cost you:
Jacket= $260. Pant= $55. Gauntlets= $25
Any questions, email [email protected].
Thank you for helping us take care of our uniforms and keeping them looking new!
FOOTBALL GAME VOLUNTEERS 10/30
October 30th will be our final Home Football game of the season and we will need several volunteers to make this final game a success. To sign up, please click on the link below to volunteer and help make this last game GREAT!
We are in need of a new photo coordinator.
- Coordinating volunteer photographers to help take photos at games and concerts and compiling on Facebook.
- Compile/organize at least two photos per band member either individually or in a group.
- Take senior photos at the beginning of band season for buttons given to parents on Senior Night. Buttons can be made at Oldham County Arts Center.
- Organize the end of year slide show to be shown at the banquet with music from the band throughout the year. Other volunteers/parents can assist with music they have recorded.
Please email [email protected] if interested.
BAND REHEARSALS FOR A/B SCHEDULE
Because students are expected to put in 40 minutes on the days they are not in the building, all virtual day students will join those taking in-person instruction through Google Meet on the days they are not here for their class. A Meet Link will appear each day in the Google Classroom stream; students should join the meet just prior to their regular class time. There is a camera that streams the in-person class to those joining from home. This way, all students can at least keep up with the "other half" of their class and will receive the same announcements and information as those who are in-person. There will be some written work (music theory) and individual playing evaluations, but at this time I’m primarily interested in coming as close to a "band rehearsal" as possible even though we can’t really play "together" in real time. Using an on-screen QR code to log both attendance and an exit ticket are part of the expectation on virtual days as well.
The seating charts/assignments for the A/B "bands" have been uploaded to GOOGLE Classroom and will also be uploaded to the band website. Each student will set up for their in-person classes on the SAME marked spot (dots in the band room floor, numbered) for all rehearsal activities, during or after school. These spots are socially distanced; each student will continue to use their personal music stand.
Our required after-school rehearsal schedule going forward:
ALL B Day students will rehearse: Tuesdays from 4:00-5:15
ALL A Day students will rehearse: Wednesdays from 4:00-5:15
All students are expected to attend one rehearsal after school each week, and are graded on their attendance and participation. In addition, our sectional coaches will by necessity be using this time to pull their sections for their time with the students and/or any individual lessons you might arrange with them. These rehearsals are extremely important, especially with the alternating nature of our in-person opportunities and the fact that "both bands" (Symphonic I and II) are randomly combined under the A/B format.
Finally, please take full advantage of the communication sent through booster email, the website, Remind, and IC Messenger. We can guarantee there WILL be changes, usually at the last minute, that will impact us going forward. We will do the very best we can to keep everyone in the loop! Attendance is expected at band rehearsals. If you’re unable to attend for any reason, please notify Mr. Rogers at [email protected]
ALL students must complete the attendance check in to verify your arrival and attendance–this is in ADDITION to the health check survey and is used to confirm your attendance at required rehearsals and performances.
A-Day/B-Day schedule for in-person CLASSES
A Days: Monday, Wednesday, + Alternating Fridays
B Days: Tuesdays, Thursdays, + Alternating Friday
A’s: Monday, Wednesday
B’s: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
HOME FOOTBALL DATES (Required Performances)
October 30th vs. Collins
Fall Break October 19th -23rd
There has not been a band calendar published yet because everything has been so fluid in terms of scheduling in general. Normally, we would publish a set calendar. Rather than doing that and having to change everything multiple times, we will continue the practice of getting all information concerning potential performances and rehearsals out to everyone in as timely a manner as possible. With that in mind, here are some future events we will attempt to hold between now and Christmas break; you should consider these "tentative" at this point, because the venue may need to change to accommodate either the audience or the performers:
November 12th: Fall Concert
November 13th: Jazz Cafe I
Seating Auditions: November 16-20
December 15th: Holiday Concert
There will be "more", but that’s all we have at this point. We will update any changes or additions as they come.
Next summer begins now – connect with GSA this autumn! We’ve rolled out a few new opportunities for GSA applicants and their supporters. Check out the info below – we hope to connect with you soon!
- Don’t forget to check out the full calendar of this autumn’s virtual info sessions, including a chance to hear directly from adjudicators in all nine artforms. The updated full schedule is available here – register today!
- Educators and organizations can now request a personalized virtual GSA info session. Make your request here.
- Applicants can now view a brief video about GSA to experience the program’s energy in a more dynamic way. Check out the video, along with a brochure for applicants, here.
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram, and contact us anytime with questions/ideas at [email protected]
Last year, many outstanding businesses and corporations supported the Oldham County High School Band by donating goods and services for our marching and concert 2019-2020 seasons. The entire band and our many football game and concert attendees had the benefit of their generous support as they enjoyed each of our band’s musical performances. We were–and are–very grateful for their support! Corporate Sponsorships are $500 annually and the fee may be waived in exchange for services and goods that help to make the band successful each year. Examples of these goods and services include donated catering services, printing services, uniform cleaning services, web hosting services, and sign and banner production services. If you are interested in sponsoring the OCHS band for the 2020-2021 school year, please contact us. Or if you’d rather speak in person, I’m happy to stop by and talk through how your business can support our band this year. Please use the following link for additional information. https://ochs.
An OCHS Band Directory will be compiled and published among the band members this fall. Participation in the directory is completely voluntary. If you wish to be included in the directory, please complete the online form found at https://docs.google.com/
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2020-2021
President – Chad Adams
Vice President – Brandon Gossett
Secretary – Sandy Walker
Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
Senior Member-at-Large: Sonya Cook
Junior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
Sophomore Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
Freshman Members-at-Large: Natalie Dorris and Kristin Goodloe