Weekly Band News: Oct 24 – Oct 30
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The last Marching Band Practice is this Thursday from 4-6 pm.
- Concert Band practices will be from 4 pm – 5:15 pm on Tuesdays for Band 2 and Wednesdays for Band 1 starting on November 2nd/3rd.
- Help is needed for the LAST game band!
- Senior parents will be participating in Senior Night activities so we need to fill volunteer spots with parents from other grades. Let’s take care of our seniors & their families on this special night!
- Lend a hand at our last marching game by visiting this Sign-Up Genius!
- Students need to place their tailgate dinner order by the end of school on Wednesday using this link.
- 2022 Orlando Band Trip:
- The next trip payment is due November 12th.
- See the trip section below for details!
- All-District and All-State Band audition registration form and fee ($6.00) are due by Friday, Oct. 29. If paying with a check, make payable to OCHS Band. If auditioning on more than one instrument, a separate form is required for each instrument, however you can pay with one check. The audition will be held on Sat. Nov. 20 at OCHS. This doubles as the All-District Audition and the First Round All-State Audition
- Students will perform TWO scales and BOTH All-State Audition Etudes
- Registration Form for All-District/All-State Band Audition
- All-District Jazz Audition Form and Fee ($6.00) is due by Friday, Oct. 29. You can audition for BOTH All-District Band and All-District Jazz – but need to turn in both forms and pay for both auditions. If paying with a check, make payable to OCHS Band. The audition will be held on Sat. Nov. 20 at OCHS
- Students will perform the required scales for jazz band district audition, the audition piece, and any additional items as discussed in class.
- Registration Form for All-District Jazz Band Audition
- All-State Jazz Audition Registration Form and Fee information is not yet available. Jazz band students have been given the etudes, scales and information for this audition to begin preparation for the audition.
- The application season for the 2022 Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is upon us! See the section below for details on this amazing program.
- Take a moment to read the September Directors Report here!
- Snap Raise Fundraiser update:
- We raised $23,195 with this year’s campaign!
- Thank you for your help and support with this great fundraiser campaign!
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- We are in the process of compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form usingthis link.
- Attention Parents: We are hosting All District Auditions at OCHS on Saturday, November 20th and we will need 30+ volunteers for the day to make it successful. Most of the time slots are in the afternoon/early evening with a few folks needed in the morning. Needs include:
- Here is the All District sign-up genius link.
- Supplying Dinner/Dessert for the judges
- Work the check in table at the front door, monitor hallways, check in tables at audition rooms, and monitoring the warm up room
- Sell ice cream/concessions
- Setup and Takedown
- Thursday after school practices are from 4-6 pm through October.
MARCHING & CONCERT BAND PRACTICE UPDATES:
We have only ONE rehearsal remaining for this marching season! There is only one halftime performance remaining! Your attendance is required for this event. It is a graded event.
Our halftime performance on Oct 8 showed a lot of improvement! It was also great to have our 8th grade students from EOMS and OCHS with us. The band directors overheard many of the 8th graders making positive comments about their experience. Thank you to the students and parents at OCHS that helped to make this a great event for the 8th graders!
Our last halftime performance will be on Oct 29.
There will be Post-Season games. The band will play for any post season games that are held at OCHS as a pep band from the stands. We will not perform the halftime show past Oct 29.
Concert Band practices will be from 4 pm – 5:15 pm on Tuesdays for Band 2 and Wednesdays for Band 1 starting on November 2nd/3rd.
Sight Reading Factory Accounts:
The sightreadingfactory.com accounts for students have been renewed. All students must set up (or extend) their accounts at this time. This is a valuable tool to help students prepare for auditions, practice for LEVELS and become a better musician! Students can access this great resource from any device that has internet access.
If a student is activating a SRF account for the first time:
- Go to www.sightreadingfactory.com/student.
- Enter rnge3r in the Student Code field.
- Select the appropriate age group.
- Complete the registration information.
If a student has had a SRF account in the past and is renewing their account:
- The student should log in to their existing account and go towww.sightreadingfactory.com/student.
- Enter rnge3r in the Student Code field.
- Click “Extend Subscription”.
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information: Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
GOVERNOR’S SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS
The application season for the 2022 Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is upon us! GSA’s summer program is a transformational tuition-free experience that provides access to scholarship opportunities at nearly 30 colleges/universities, and we hope to see an applicant pool that represents the many places, identities, and perspectives of the Commonwealth!
Current high school sophomores and juniors can apply for GSA 2022 between November 3 and January 9, but GSA encourages prospective applicants to start by attending their informational webinars that begin next month on October 6 (recordings of the webinars will be made available afterward, as well).
Here are two printable flyers:
Students and their advocates may contact GSA with any questions at 502.566.5192 or [email protected].
Congratulations to our very first LEVEL 10 band member, Hannah Centers completed her last item to achieve Level 10 status this past week!
We currently have 2 Level 8 students, ~5 Level 5 students, ~8 Level 4 students, ~12 Level 3, ~20 Level 2, ~20 Level 1 and ~42 students who have not “leveled up” by completing the first set of skills for Level 1.
Students are encouraged to take the initiative and set up times to continue leveling up throughout the year!
- The Band Levels Program is a skills based learning program that takes students through the most basic skills to more advanced levels
- Students are graded on their levels progress (Level 1 through Level 10).
- Students have many options for “leveling up”: students can schedule a time with Mr. Centers in the morning before school, during LEAD time, after school, and during “level up days” in class. Students may also “level up” with approved private teachers and section coaches.
- Online submissions for LEVELS is available now. Students who have completed Level 1 may submit levels items online through Google Classroom using the Google Form found in Assignments.
BAND PHOTO REQUEST:
- Say cheese!!! Did you capture any great pics of the band in action? Please upload them to this location! It is a tradition to have a slideshow at our end of year celebration – pictures and videos saved here are the perfect way to be sure all band members and events are celebrated!
- We need a photo of the marching band in uniform for the school year book ASAP! If you took photos at the Friends and Family performance last month and have a photo that is clear and shows all (or most) of the marching band, please contact the band director, Mr. Centers, or the Booster President, Chad Adams
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
BAND TRIP 2022
Below is a link to the documents handed out during the Band Trip Meeting along with an additional sheet that has information for Parents/Families that want to book the trip without the Bus Transportation ($400 less).
The next payment is due Friday, November 12th.
Band Trip Info from Taylor Tours: Below is a link that will allow you to purchase the Group Travel Protection Plan for your trip. Rates are based on overall trip cost and not age. You will need to enter your full trip cost for accurate coverage. You will need to make your purchase prior to final trip payment in order to qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver. Please view the group marketing for rates and schedule of coverages then click the link to purchase. You can purchase one plan at a time. For questions on the plan, coverage or procedures, please contact the Group Desk at Travel Insured 844‑440‑8113.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Emails: Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
- Facebook: The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- Contact Information: For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates—Summer & Fall 2021
(Football Games are in their own section below.)
- After School Rehearsals: This Thursday; August 12 is the last marching band practice from 4-6pm.
- Nov 2nd & 3rd Concert Band Rehearsals Begin:
- Band 2 is on Tuesdays from 4 pm – 5:15 pm.
- Band 1 is on Wednesdays from 4pm – 5:15pm.
- Sat., Nov. 13: UofL Marching Band Day (optional – $20 fee)
- Sat., Nov. 20: All-State First Round Auditions (All-District Auditions) @ OCHS
- Sat., Dec. 11: All-State Final Round Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Sat. Dec. 11: All-State Jazz Band Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Tuesday, Dec. 14: OCHS Holiday Concert @ OCHS Auditorium
- Fri.-Sat., Jan. 7-8: All-District Band Weekend
- Tue., Jan. 25: KMEA Conference Preview Performance (Symphonic Band 1)
- Wed.-Sat., Feb. 2-5: KMEA All-State Ensembles and State Conference
- Fri., Feb. 4: KMEA Conference Performance at KICC (Louisville) (Symphonic Band 1)
- Sat. March 5: KMEA Solo and Ensemble Assessment at NOHS
- Tues., March 8: KMEA Assessment Preview Concert at OCHS
- Wed.-Fri., March 16-18: KMEA Large Ensemble Assessment (exact date/time will be set by KMEA)
- April 2-8: OCHS Florida Band Trip (optional)
- Week of April 18: Recital Night (Date TBD)
- Week of April 25: Chamber Ensemble Concert (Date TBD)
- Week of May 16: GALA Concert (Date TBD)
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night) Marching Band Home Game, Senior Night
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
- Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- Committee Coordinators
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below have Senior parent this year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email [email protected] if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email [email protected] or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.