Weekly Band News November 29 – December 5
- Link to Instrumental Music Google Site: https://sites.google.com/
- We will be auditioning for positions in our All County Band in the coming weeks; the plan is to hold the event later in the spring semester, with live, socially-distanced rehearsals culminating in either a virtual or in-person concert performance. Additional information can be found on Google Classroom. Link: https://forms.gle/
- The next band booster meeting will be Monday, December 14th at 7:00pm via zoom. The link and meeting information is below. We hope you will attend!
ALL-STATE EQUIPMENT ACCESS
The link above will allow students needing access to equipment (Percussion/Tubas) or technology resources to record your ALL STATE BAND AUDITION submissions at the band room. Times are available on November 30th, December 1st and December 2nd; some are in the morning each day prior to our Google Meet classes, others are from 1:30-7:00 p.m. daily. The deadline for submission of ALL STATE BAND and ALL STATE JAZZ auditions is December 3rd.
You are REQUIRED to complete the band health check questionnaire BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL ON CAMPUS and have a temperature check when you enter the building. Health Check Link: https://forms.gle/
NOTE: 30 minutes per time slot/per audition instrument. Come a bit early and be prepared to get your work done within the time constraints.
Contact me with any questions at bradford.rogers@oldham.
WKU HONOR BAND (from Gary Schallert at WKU Music Dept.)
The following is information for the 2021 WKU Honors Band Clinic. We feel that we can safely host a scaled down version of our annual Honors Band Clinic which will be modeled after the successful plan implemented with the concert bands at WKU this fall. There will be two bands with 47 musicians (total of 94 students selected) that will rehearse in large, well ventilated rehearsal rooms for shortened rehearsal segments (45 minutes with regular breaks scheduled each hour). Students musicians will be physically spaced a minimum of 6ft from other players and will be provided with face masks and bell covers. Hand sanitizer will be available at both rehearsal locations. Our plan for the 2021 clinic will also include opportunities for the participants to rehearse and perform woodwind choir, brass choir, and percussion ensemble repertoire in addition to outstanding wind ensemble repertoire.
There are several aspects of the clinic that are different this year in order to make the event possible. Interested students will need to submit a recorded audition video as part of their application. We will not be seeking nominations from directors this year but we certainly hope that you will share this information with your students that are looking for a SAFE honor band experience. All students selected to attend will do so FREE of charge! We are also expecting students to be accompanied by their parents/guardians if they have to travel a good distance to Bowling Green. Students that live within in a short drive of the WKU campus can attend with parent consent. We are doing that this year knowing that many school districts may not permit directors to take students on out of town trips. Please know that directors are certainly welcome to attend the Honors Band clinic events but remember to bring your face mask.
PLEASE share this information with your top students. We encourage all seniors, juniors and sophomores to audition. Freshmen are welcome to audition, but priority will be granted to the older students – especially seniors since this is their last opportunity to attend the WKU Honors Band Clinic.
Here are some aspects of the 2021 clinic that we want to highlight.
- Two bands of 47 players so that we can physically distance students during rehearsals and the performance.
- Shortened event (Friday night and Saturday only). A draft schedule is attached.
- Shortened rehearsal times with regular breaks.
- Masks and bell covers will be provided to the student participants as well as a special edition 40th Annual WKU Honors Band T-shirt.
- Students will be selected from recorded video auditions eliminating in-person mass auditions.
- Each student participant will be given two tickets for parents/family to attend the final concert.
- The final concert will have limited seating in Van Meter Hall (180 max) but the concert will be live streamed.
- Matt McCurry and I will conduct the two bands. We have scheduled some sectionals/master classes to provide opportunities for the students to perform in a woodwind choir, brass choir, or percussion ensemble led by WKU faculty.
Of course a lot depends on what happens in December and January with Covid-19 whether we will be able to fully realize the 2021 Honors Band Clinic. I am optimistic that it will be possible for us to host this event but we may need to cancel if it is determined that the risks are too great at the time.
Thank you in advance for your continued support and for sharing this information with your students. Please let me know if you have any questions after reading through the attached information. You can also direct students and their parents to vist the WKU Honors Band website at: https://www.wku.edu/music/
If OCHS does have students involved in the WKU Honors Band, Mr. Rogers will plan to attend, but will NOT be involved in transporting students or obtaining their housing–that will be on the individual parent/student. This will be a major consideration for those wishing to submit an audition. Questions can be directed to Mr. Rogers at bradford.rogers@oldham.
NTI / REHEARSAL SCHEDULE
NTI Daily Schedule(periods 1-3-5 M + Th, periods 2-4-6 T + F)
10:00 am – 10:45 am Period 1 (Monday/Thursday) or 2 (Tuesday/Friday)
11:00 am – 11:45 am Period 3 (Monday/Thursday) or 4 (Tuesday/Friday)
12:15 – 1:00 pm Period 5 (Sym. II; Monday/Thursday) or 6 (Sym. I; Tuesday/Friday)
1:15 pm-3:45 pm Office hours, virtual lessons, etc.
Wednesdays (remediation day, Advisory with period 4/Jazz ensemble)
10:00 am-10:30 am Google Meet with 4th period; attendance and advisory items
11:00-noon/1:00-3:30 Office Hours, small group virtual collaboration, individual lessons
ALL REHEARSALS ARE CANCELLED THROUGH DECEMBER 13TH.
We are in need of a new photo coordinator.
- Coordinating volunteer photographers to help take photos at games and concerts and compiling on Facebook.
- Compile/organize at least two photos per band member either individually or in a group.
- Take senior photos at the beginning of band season for buttons given to parents on Senior Night. Buttons can be made at Oldham County Arts Center.
- Organize the end of year slide show to be shown at the banquet with music from the band throughout the year. Other volunteers/parents can assist with music they have recorded.
Please email OCHSBandnews@gmail.com if interested.
Last year, many outstanding businesses and corporations supported the Oldham County High School Band by donating goods and services for our marching and concert 2019-2020 seasons. The entire band and our many football game and concert attendees had the benefit of their generous support as they enjoyed each of our band’s musical performances. We were–and are–very grateful for their support! Corporate Sponsorships are $500 annually and the fee may be waived in exchange for services and goods that help to make the band successful each year. Examples of these goods and services include donated catering services, printing services, uniform cleaning services, web hosting services, and sign and banner production services. If you are interested in sponsoring the OCHS band for the 2020-2021 school year, please contact us. Or if you’d rather speak in person, I’m happy to stop by and talk through how your business can support our band this year. Please use the following link for additional information. https://ochs.
An OCHS Band Directory will be compiled and published among the band members this fall. Participation in the directory is completely voluntary. If you wish to be included in the directory, please complete the online form found at https://docs.google.com/
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2020-2021
President – Chad Adams
Vice President – Brandon Gossett
Secretary – Sandy Walker
Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
Senior Member-at-Large: Sonya Cook
Junior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
Sophomore Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
Freshman Members-at-Large: Natalie Dorris and Kristin Goodloe
BAND BOOSTER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
We are need of the following volunteers. Please contact OCHSBandnews@gmail.com if you are interested.
- Alumni Coordinator
- Photo Coordinator
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Web Back-up Support
- Other shadowing opportunities are available. These allow you to learn the job this year so that you can do it next year!