Weekly Band News: November 10 – November 16
Photos will be taken with the combined band first, then Symphonic II and Symphonic I. We will reset the stage with percussion instruments following the photo shoot, and the plan is for anyone wishing an individual photo with their instrument to have them made after the full band shots are finished. I’ve asked that we organize a tailgate style meal for all students prior to the warmup for the concert so we can get all of this done without a panic.
Volunteer Needs for the Fall Concert on November 14 are as follows. Please click the links below to sign up and assist.
Stage set-up Tuesday, November 12
We Still need 4-6 people to sign-up for Stage Set-up in the auditorium at 7 pm Tuesday night.
Sign up at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-fall2.
The stage extensions are in a nearby closet on rolling carts. Once they are rolled into the auditorium, the legs of each extension are unfolded (much like setting up a card table.) The extensions are pushed together and tightened with a key that operates like a screwdriver. Then, the percussion equipment is rolled from the bandroom to the auditorium. Anyone can do this, teenagers or adults. If 4-6 people sign up, it takes about 30 minutes.
Tailgate Meal on Thursday before concert
Sign up at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-fall4
We are still in need of the following:
- 1 or 2 more people for set-up and clean-up.
- 2-4 more cases of bottled water.
- 1 more box of individual packs of chips.
Graeter’s Ice Cream Sales before and after concert
Sign up at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-concert5. We still need 2 people to sell ice cream 6-7 pm and 2 people to sell ice cream for about 15 minutes after concert.
Jazz Café – Friday, November 15
We will have our first Jazz Café on November 15th at 7:00. To assist will finger foods and set-up, please sign up at the following link https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-fall1.
The following sign ups still need to be filled.
- 2 veggies trays
- 2 fruit trays
- 2 cheese trays
- 4 dozen brownies
- 7 dozen finger sandwiches
- 2-4 more people to help set-up.
All-District Auditions – Thursday, November 21
Sign up at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-alldistrict3. We are still in need of the following positions to be filled.
- Hall monitor – Make sure no one is talking in the hallways outside the audition rooms and alert the check-in table when there are less than 2 people sitting outside an audition room waiting to audition. (need 1 more)
- Warm-up room monitor – Hang out in auditorium and make sure OCHS property doesn’t get damaged by students. This is an easy job but noisy, maybe bring headphones (need 1 more)
- Check-in table – Mark students present on either brass or woodwind table, allow no more than 2 people on each instrument to wait in the hallway outside their audition room (need 3 more)
- Room monitor – Announce each auditioning students’ number (not their name!) to the judges in the room you are assigned to. Make sure students stay in the order they are assigned. (need 8 more)
- Concession stand – Need 2 more for 2nd shift, 7:30 – 9:00. Need 1 dozen bananas and 1 more box of 20 candy bars for concession stand.
- Graeter’s ice cream sales (need 2)
Last year, we had a few people who couldn’t stay for the entire audition due to other commitments. These folks split a shift with someone else. If you can’t help the entire time, please consider this option.
All State Jazz Band
Auditions will be held on Saturday, December 7th at St. Xavier High School. A separate audition process is involved for these highly selective bands. All Jazz Ensemble students have received a copy of the audition excerpts, requirements and other information. We have been working on the excerpts as a group in class; hopefully we can have some of our students give this a shot!
Parent Teacher Conferences
Please utilize the corrected attached link to access a Google Form for parent conference signup on November 20 or December 11th. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdXGIs-DqG2i-GmIxg8st_8_OAi182wTGpBKpxBdfr15Cojww/viewform?usp=sf_link You should be receiving an IC portal message from the school in the coming days referencing these conferencing opportunities with all of our staff. If you can’t make one of the dates/times work for you, please reach out to me via email at email@example.com, and we’ll set something up outside of the scheduled days!
Katie Fuller is compiling a band directory to be published among the band members after Fall Break. Participation in the directory is completely voluntary. If you wish to be included in the directory, please complete the online form found at:
Important Dates to Remember
November 14 Fall Concert
November 15 Jazz Café I
November 18-22 Seating auditions (25/26 makeups)
November 21 5th District Auditions (first cut all state) at OCHS
November 27-29 Thanksgiving Break
December 7 All State Jazz auditions (St. Xavier HS, Louisville)
December 14 All State auditions (John Hardin HS)
December 17 Jazz Band at Rotary Club (Lunch Meeting)
December 17 Holiday Concert
February 22 CCM Essentially Ellington Jazz Festival (Jazz Band)
The updated full band schedule can be found on the band website at https://ochs.band.
Past Emails and other important information can be found on the OCHS Band Website at https://ochs.band. Questions or corrections to this newsletter can be sent to Sonya Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org.