Weekly Band News: Nov 7 – Nov 13
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- All-District Audition Times for each student (for Nov. 20 auditions at OC) will be released very soon. We anticipate having the specific audition times by Monday, Nov. 8. Times will be posted in google classroom.
- Seniors–Senior Posters have been taken down from the football stadium and placed by the band safe. Please pick yours up this week. We will need them back for the band banquet later in the year.
- Concert Band practices will be from 4 pm – 5:15 pm on Wednesdays for Symph Band 1 and Thursday for Symph Band 2 starting on November 3rd/4th.
- The game time schedule for the U of L Marching Band day on 11/13/21 has been set for a noon kickoff. The band will need to meet at OCHS at 5 am in order to load up equipment and arrive at U of L by 6 am. Please read the section below carefully to be sure your family has all details needed for a smooth Band Day!
- Attention Parents: We are hosting All District Auditions at OCHS on Saturday, November 20th and we will need 30+ volunteers for the day to make it successful. Most of the time slots are in the afternoon/early evening with a few folks needed in the morning. Needs include:
- Here is the All District sign-up genius link.
- Supplying Dinner/Dessert for the judges
- Work the check in table at the front door, monitor hallways, check in tables at audition rooms, and monitoring the warm up room
- Sell ice cream/concessions
- Setup and Takedown
- 2022 Orlando Band Trip:
- The next trip payment is due November 12th by the END OF THE SCHOOL DAY.
- See the trip section below for additional trip details!
- The OCHS Jazz Band will be hosting a Jazz Cafe on Thursday, November 11th at 7 pm in the OCHS Cafeteria. This event is alway great fun and we would encourage all to attend. The booster also arranges snacks and finger foods for the evening and helps with setup and cleanup. If you can donate food and/or help with setup/clean, please signup at the following link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0448AAA628A3FB6-20213
- The November Band Booster meeting will be held on 11/15/21 at 7pm in the Band room.
- The Uniform Committee is looking for a group of parent volunteers who can help with washing marching band uniforms. Goal is to have 20 volunteer slots to wash 5 uniforms each (feel free to sign up for more than 1 spot if you can). There is no special washing equipment required; just standard washer and dryer. We will distribute uniforms after the Concert Band Practices next Wednesday and Thursday (11/10 and 11/11) and they will be on racks out in front of the school. Uniforms would need to be returned on Wednesday and Thursday after Thanksgiving (12/1 and 12/2).
- Washing instructions are included in the link below for reference and also will be printed and given to each volunteer when they pick up the uniforms. Please email Charlie Christensen at [email protected] for any questions.
- Signup Genius Link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0448AAA628A3FB6-band6
- The application season for the 2022 Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is upon us! See the section below for details on this amazing program.
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- We are compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form using this link.
U of L BAND DAY
UofL Marching Band Day is Saturday, Nov 13, 2021.
- Schedule can be found here
- Music can be found here (1 copy with a schedule has been given to each student)
- Music must be put in a flip folder and practiced before the event
- For students riding home with parents AFTER the event: Parent Transportation Form found here (this form must be returned by Friday, Nov 12 so that Mr. Centers can accurately take attendance for buses)
- Note: parents may pick up their tickets from Mrs. Centers between 10:00am-10:30am in front of the stadium gates. Mr. Centers will send a text to the band Remind notifying of the exact gate location to meet Mrs. Centers (so be sure you are signed up for Remind Texts – info here).
- There will be room for approximately 25 parents to ride the bus to UofL on Saturday morning if you wish. Parents wishing to ride the bus (up to 25) MUST sign up online for a spot here (
- PARKING INFORMATION: Parents driving themselves to UofL, you may park in any available lots at UofL (note that there will be a parking fee charged at most lots). After the game, all band students will be directed towards the parking lot located near the Patrick Henry Hughs practice field (see parking instructions from UofL here)
CONCERT BAND PRACTICE UPDATES:
If there are post season games for football, the band will play for games that are held at OCHS as a pep band from the stands. We will not perform the halftime show past Oct 29. The first post season game will be an away game.
Concert Band practices will be from 4 pm – 5:15 pm on Wednesdays for Symph Band 1 and Thursday for Symph Band 2 starting on November 3rd/4th.
Sight Reading Factory Accounts:
- Click here for information regarding the REQUIRED Sight Reading Factory accounts for OC Band students
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information: Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
GOVERNOR’S SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS
The application season for the 2022 Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is upon us! GSA’s summer program is a transformational tuition-free experience that provides access to scholarship opportunities at nearly 30 colleges/universities, and we hope to see an applicant pool that represents the many places, identities, and perspectives of the Commonwealth!
Current high school sophomores and juniors can apply for GSA 2022 between November 3 and January 9, but GSA encourages prospective applicants to start by attending their informational webinars that begin next month on October 6 (recordings of the webinars will be made available afterward, as well).
Here are two printable flyers:
Students and their advocates may contact GSA with any questions at 502.566.5192 or [email protected].
Students are encouraged to take the initiative and set up times to continue leveling up throughout the year!
- The Band Levels Program is a skills based learning program that takes students through the most basic skills to more advanced levels
- Students are graded on their levels progress (Level 1 through Level 10).
- Students have many options for “leveling up”: students can schedule a time with Mr. Centers in the morning before school, during LEAD time, after school, and during “level up days” in class. Students may also “level up” with approved private teachers and section coaches.
- Online submissions for LEVELS is available now. Students who have completed Level 1 may submit levels items online through Google Classroom using the Google Form found in Assignments.
BAND PHOTO REQUEST:
- Say cheese!!! Did you capture any great pics of the band in action? Please upload them to this location! It is a tradition to have a slideshow at our end of year celebration – pictures and videos saved here are the perfect way to be sure all band members and events are celebrated!
- A BIG thank you to Erika Watt who started a folder in our shared drive full of pictures from senior night.
- Senior Night Folder Google Drive Link
- There are 467 pictures, but please try to look at them all if you have a Senior. There should be at least a couple of pictures of each Student and their family. I apologize if I wasn’t able to capture the Best pictures. I did try to crop several to give you better options but also left most of the originals, so you could make changes to them.
- Parents of Seniors should be proud! What a great group of kids!
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
BAND TRIP 2022
The next payment is due Friday, November 12th by the end of the school day.
Band Trip Info from Taylor Tours: Here is a link that will allow you to purchase the Group Travel Protection Plan for your trip. Rates are based on overall trip cost and not age. You will need to enter your full trip cost for accurate coverage. You will need to make your purchase prior to final trip payment in order to qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver. Please view the group marketing for rates and schedule of coverages then click the link to purchase. You can purchase one plan at a time. For questions on the plan, coverage or procedures, please contact the Group Desk at Travel Insured 844‑440‑8113.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Emails: Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
- Facebook: The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- Contact Information: For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates – 2021 & 2022 School Year
- Concert Band Rehearsals:
- Band 1 is on Wednesdays from 4pm – 5:15pm.
- Band 2 is on Thursday from 4 pm – 5:15 pm.
- Thur. Nov 11: Jazz Cafe 7:00pm in the OCHS Cafeteria
- Sat., Nov. 13: UofL Marching Band Day (optional – $20 fee) See section above for links with important details.
- Mon. Nov 15: Band Booster Meeting (7pm in the band room)
- Sat., Nov. 20: All-State First Round Auditions (All-District Auditions) @ OCHS
- Sat., Dec. 11: All-State Final Round Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Sat. Dec. 11: All-State Jazz Band Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Tuesday, Dec. 14: OCHS Holiday Concert @ OCHS Auditorium
- Fri.-Sat., Jan. 7-8: All-District Band Weekend
- Tue., Jan. 25: KMEA Conference Preview Performance (Symphonic Band 1)
- Wed.-Sat., Feb. 2-5: KMEA All-State Ensembles and State Conference
- Fri., Feb. 4: KMEA Conference Performance at KICC (Louisville) (Symphonic Band 1)
- Sat. March 5: KMEA Solo and Ensemble Assessment at NOHS
- Tues., March 8: KMEA Assessment Preview Concert at OCHS
- Wed.-Fri., March 16-18: KMEA Large Ensemble Assessment (exact date/time will be set by KMEA)
- April 2-8: OCHS Florida Band Trip (optional)
- Week of April 18: Recital Night (Date TBD)
- Week of April 25: Chamber Ensemble Concert (Date TBD)
- Week of May 16: GALA Concert (Date TBD)
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
- Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- Committee Coordinators
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below have Senior parent this year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email [email protected] if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email [email protected] or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.