Weekly Band News: Nov 21 – Nov 27
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Thank you to everyone who helped with the All-District Auditions!
- It’s Pep Band time! Here’s the information you will need:
- All students have been assigned to one of two pep bands (using school colors) the bands are BLUE BAND and WHITE BAND: Rosters are here
- All students will play at 4 home games
- We will have sign ups and assignments for Tournament Games as the teams progresses through post-season play (the post season continues as long as the teams win)
- HERE IS THE PEP BAND SCHEDULE
- Rosters and Schedules are available in band google classrooms for student access
- 2022 Orlando Band Trip:
- The last payment will be due January 14th. This payment will be less than the other payments; please do not send in payment until we announce the final amount.
***If you want trip insurance, you need to set this up BEFORE the final payment.***
- See the trip section below for additional trip details!
- Thank you to all of the parents who volunteered to clean marching uniforms! We are so very thankful for your support and help. You may return the uniforms at any time to the band room by hanging them on the uniform racks in the back near the uniform closet. Otherwise, we will be out front of the school the week after Thanksgiving following both Wednesday and Thursday rehearsals (December 1 & 2) for drop off. If you need more time, just let us know by email – [email protected].
- Washing instructions are included in the link below for reference if needed. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19Kz95d7qx0cyonYpqhizngVts9xTYAG2?usp=sharing
- The application season for the 2022 Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is upon us! See the section below for details on this amazing program.
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- We are compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form using this link.
CONCERT BAND PRACTICE UPDATES:
Concert Band practices will be from 4 pm – 5:15 pm on Wednesdays for Symph Band 1 and Thursday for Symph Band 2 starting on November 3rd/4th.
SIGHT READING FACTORY ACCOUNTS:
- Click here for information regarding the REQUIRED Sight Reading Factory accounts for OC Band students
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information: Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
GOVERNOR’S SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS
The application season for the 2022 Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is upon us! GSA’s summer program is a transformational tuition-free experience that provides access to scholarship opportunities at nearly 30 colleges/universities, and we hope to see an applicant pool that represents the many places, identities, and perspectives of the Commonwealth!
Current high school sophomores and juniors can apply for GSA 2022 between November 3 and January 9, but GSA encourages prospective applicants to start by attending their informational webinars that begin next month on October 6 (recordings of the webinars will be made available afterward, as well).
Here are two printable flyers:
Students and their advocates may contact GSA with any questions at 502.566.5192 or [email protected].
Students are encouraged to take the initiative and set up times to continue leveling up throughout the year!
- The Band Levels Program is a skills based learning program that takes students through the most basic skills to more advanced levels
- Students are graded on their levels progress (Level 1 through Level 10).
- Students have many options for “leveling up”: students can schedule a time with Mr. Centers in the morning before school, during LEAD time, after school, and during “level up days” in class. Students may also “level up” with approved private teachers and section coaches.
- Online submissions for LEVELS is available now. Students who have completed Level 1 may submit levels items online through Google Classroom using the Google Form found in Assignments.
BAND PHOTOS NEEDED!
- Say cheese!!! Did you capture any great pics of the band in action? Please upload them to this location! It is a tradition to have a slideshow at our end of year celebration – pictures and videos saved here are the perfect way to be sure all band members and events are celebrated!
- A BIG thank you to Erika Watt who started a folder in our shared drive full of pictures from senior night.
- Senior Night Folder Google Drive Link
- There are 467 pictures, but please try to look at them all if you have a Senior. There should be at least a couple of pictures of each Student and their family. I apologize if I wasn’t able to capture the Best pictures. I did try to crop several to give you better options but also left most of the originals, so you could make changes to them.
- Parents of Seniors should be proud! What a great group of kids!
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
BAND TRIP 2022
- The last payment will be due January 14th. This final payment will be less than the other payments.
- ***If you want trip insurance, you need to set this up BEFORE the final payment.***
Band Trip Info from Taylor Tours: Here is a link that will allow you to purchase the Group Travel Protection Plan for your trip. Rates are based on overall trip cost and not age. You will need to enter your full trip cost for accurate coverage. You will need to make your purchase prior to final trip payment in order to qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver. Please view the group marketing for rates and schedule of coverages then click the link to purchase. You can purchase one plan at a time. For questions on the plan, coverage or procedures, please contact the Group Desk at Travel Insured 844‑440‑8113.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Emails: Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
- Facebook: The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- Contact Information: For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates – 2021 & 2022 School Year
- Concert Band Rehearsals:
- Band 1 is on Wednesdays from 4pm – 5:15pm.
- Band 2 is on Thursday from 4 pm – 5:15 pm.
- Mon. Dec 6: Blue Pep Band Game
- Sat., Dec. 11: All-State Final Round Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Sat. Dec. 11: All-State Jazz Band Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Mon., Dec. 13: White Pep Band Game
- Tuesday, Dec. 14: OCHS Holiday Concert @ OCHS Auditorium
- Tues. Jan 4: Blue Pep Band Game
- Fri.-Sat., Jan. 7-8: All-District Band Weekend
- Mon., Jan. 17: Band Boosters Meeting
- Tue., Jan. 25: KMEA Conference Preview Performance (Symphonic Band 1)
- Wed.-Sat., Feb. 2-5: KMEA All-State Ensembles and State Conference
- Fri., Feb. 4: KMEA Conference Performance at KICC (Louisville) (Symphonic Band 1)
- Sat. March 5: KMEA Solo and Ensemble Assessment at NOHS
- Tues., March 8: KMEA Assessment Preview Concert at OCHS
- Wed.-Fri., March 16-18: KMEA Large Ensemble Assessment (exact date/time will be set by KMEA)
- April 2-8: OCHS Florida Band Trip (optional)
- Week of April 18: Recital Night (Date TBD)
- Week of April 25: Chamber Ensemble Concert (Date TBD)
- Week of May 16: GALA Concert (Date TBD)
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
- Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- Committee Coordinators
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below have Senior parent this year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email [email protected] if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email [email protected] or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.