Weekly Band News: July 4 – July 10
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND REMINDERS
- 2022 Band Trip: We are in the process of planning for the band trip but wanted to share that the trip this year will be over Spring Break. We will be passing out information for the trip at the July Band Booster Meeting and then will have a separate trip meeting the week after Band Camp.
- We need volunteers to help at the Band Rehearsals. See the link for the Signup Genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-2021
- OLDHAM COUNTY DAY: The Band Boosters are organizing a silent auction for Oldham County Day on July 17th and we would like each class to donate towards silent auction items. Please see below for details.
- We still need Committee Coordinators for next year. See the listing below and email President@ochs.band if interested.
- Summer Band Rehearsals will be on Mondays and Thursdays starting July 5th through the first day of the school year 6:00-8:30 p.m. at OCHS.
- The next Band Booster meeting will be Monday, July 19th at 7:00pm in the band room.
- See this link to read the most recent Director’s comments. Director Comments June 2021
MARCHING BAND REHEARSAL AND PACKET INFORMATION
The marching band will meet Monday and Thursday evenings during July and August. Rehearsals will be 6:00 – 8:30pm and are held at OCHS starting July 5th. Attendance is expected at summer band rehearsal if you are in town. If you’re on vacation or out of town for any of these dates, please notify Mr. Centers at David.Centers@oldham.kyschools.us.
- In order to keep students hydrated throughout band rehearsals, we ask that each band student bring in a case of bottled water the first week of summer band rehearsal. Thank you in advance!
- Please arrive 30 minutes before practice begins on Monday, July 5th, if your student needs to purchase materials and/or check-out and instrument for marching band.
- Materials to Purchase through the Band Program at Rehearsals:
- Flip Folios for $8.00.
- Lyre Prices: Baritone $8; Mellophone $13; Trombone $12; Trumpet $7; Bach Combo $19; Clarinet $8; Sax $8; and Drum $11
- Materials to Purchase through the Band Program at Rehearsals:
Summer Packet Information has been uploaded to the band website. This information will not be printed by the OCHS BAND Boosters and will need to be printed at home. The Medical Release form will need to be notarized. The Oldham County Public Library (Main Branch) will notarize documents at no cost by appointment only. You may call and make an appointment at 502-222-9713. All forms will need to be turned in the first week of Summer Band Rehearsals. Please refer to the DOCUMENTS Tab under the STUDENTS Section on the OCHS Band Website https://ochs.band/students/documents.
Marching Band Camp will be July 26-30. Attendance is mandatory for all band students. More information about band camp including, safety guidelines, daily schedules and other details will be released in the coming weeks as guidelines are still being determined by the OCBE and the OCHS Band Directors.
Mr. Centers will be able to offer a Music Theory course for all interested students this coming school year. The class will be offered during 2nd period and will cover both written and aural music theory knowledge and skills. This course is open to any student who desires a deeper knowledge and understanding of how music works, including musical analysis and composition. It is highly recommended for any student considering studying music in college at any level in the future.
If you are interested in this course, please email Mr. Steedly at email@example.com as soon as possible so that you can be added to this course.
This course is not just for band students. If you have a friend in choir or someone who would be interested is this course, please share this information with them.
OLDHAM COUNTY DAY
The Band Boosters are organizing a silent auction for Oldham County Day which is Saturday, July 17th. We will be collecting the following items from each grade level from now until July 8th. You can either drop in the band room during rehearsals or on the front porch of Stephanie Skeens’ house at 603 Scott Montfort Dr. LaGrange (There will be a bin on the front porch beginning June 1st) during the month of June. When July rehearsals begin you may drop in the bandroom.
Upcoming Seniors: Items for a “Gift Card Basket.” These can be gift cards in any amount from area restaurants, stores, etc. Might utilize our Scrip fundraiser to order any gift cards.
Upcoming Juniors: Items for a Family Game NIght Basket. Board games, card games, anything fun a family can do together.
Upcoming Sophomores: Items for a “Coffee, Tea & Fun Snack Basket.” K-Cups, tea bags, creamers to go in coffees, mugs, fun snacks of any kind.
Incoming Freshman: Items for a “Spa Day Basket.” Because we’re getting a late start, upper classman may have to help with this basket. Items can include lotions, gift cards for nail places or massages, Bath & Body Works, etc.
Please contact Stephanie Skeens, Sophomore Rep for 2021-22 with any questions. 502-417-4855
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATES
- Important Dates—Summer and Fall 2021
- Summer Band Rehearsals
- Mondays and Thursdays
- Starts July 5th through the first day of the school year 6:00-8:30 p.m. at OCHS
- Oldham County Day Parade
- July 17th
- Band Camp Week
- July 26-30
- 8:30 a.m—8:30 p.m. DAILY at OCHS
- After school rehearsals (marching band)
- Every Thursday; August 12—end of season
- HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- August 27th v. Shelby County
- September 10th v. Meade County
- October 7th (THURSDAY) v. Eastern (7:00 start)
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- (Fall Break October 18-22)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night)
VOLUNTEER AND SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for next year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below will have Senior parent next year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email me at President@ochs.bandif you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email me at President@ochs.band or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
- Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Sandy Walker
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris and Kristin Goodloe
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum.
See attached Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails. You can also access using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link