Weekly Band News: July 11 – July 17
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND REMINDERS
- We will have a Notary on site July 15th, 19th, & 22nd from 5:30-6:00pm.
- Bring photo ID
- Our thanks to Jenn Silliman for helping with this!
- HELP NEEDED!
- OC Day Parade Helpers: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-ocdayhelpers
- OC Day Booth Helpers: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-oldham
- Summer Band Rehearsal Check-In Help: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448aaa628a3fb6-2021
- 2022 Band Trip: We are in the process of planning for the band trip but wanted to share that the trip this year will be over Spring Break. We will be passing out information for the trip at the July Band Booster Meeting and then will have a separate trip meeting the week after Band Camp.
- OLDHAM COUNTY DAY: The Band Boosters are organizing a silent auction for Oldham County Day on July 17th and we would like each class to donate towards silent auction items. Please see below for details.
- We still need Committee Coordinators. See the listing below and email [email protected] if interested.
- Summer Band Rehearsals will be on Mondays and Thursdays starting July 5th through the first day of the school year 6:00-8:30 p.m. at OCHS.
- The next Band Booster meeting will be Monday, July 19th at 7:00pm in the band room.
- See this link to read the most recent Director’s comments. Director Comments June 2021
SUMMER MARCHING BAND REHEARSAL & PACKET INFORMATION
The marching band will meet Monday and Thursday evenings during July and August. Rehearsals will be 6:00 – 8:30pm and are held at OCHS starting July 5th. Attendance is expected at summer band rehearsal if you are in town. If you’re on vacation or out of town for any of these dates, please notify Mr. Centers at [email protected].
Students should have their music prepared and placed in a flip folder for summer rehearsals. If you have not yet picked up a music packet, you may do so at any summer rehearsal, a drum major or band director can help you find the music packets.
Flip folders and music lyres are also available to purchase from the band boosters.
Students should dress comfortably to practice outside and wear appropriate shoes and socks for rehearsals.
- In order to keep students hydrated throughout band rehearsals, we ask that each band student bring in a case of bottled water the first week of summer band rehearsal. Thank you in advance!
- Materials to Purchase through the Band Program at Rehearsals:
- Flip Folios for $8.00.
- Lyre Prices: Baritone $8; Mellophone $13; Trombone $12; Trumpet $7; Bach Combo $19; Clarinet $8; Sax $8; and Drum $11
Summer Packet Information has been uploaded to the band website and can be accessed using this link. This information will not be printed by the OCHS BAND Boosters and will need to be printed at home. The Medical Release form will need to be notarized. The Oldham County Public Library (Main Branch) will notarize documents at no cost by appointment only. You may call and make an appointment at 502-222-9713. There will also be a Notary on site before band rehearsals on July 15th, 19th, & 22nd from 5:30-6:00pm. Be sure to bring a photo ID for the notarizing process. Our thanks to Jenn Silliman for helping with this! All forms will need to be turned in the first week of Summer Band Rehearsals. Please refer to the DOCUMENTS Tab under the STUDENTS Section on the OCHS Band Website https://ochs.band/students/documents.
Marching Band Camp will be July 26-30. Attendance is mandatory for all band students. More information about band camp including safety guidelines, daily schedules and other details will be released in the coming weeks as guidelines are still being determined by the OCBE and the OCHS Band Directors.
OLDHAM COUNTY DAY
The Band Boosters are organizing a silent auction for Oldham County Day which is Saturday, July 17th. We will be collecting the following items from each grade level. If you still have items to turn in, please bring them to rehearsal on Monday, July 12th. You can also Venmo @StephSkeens if you would like. Please be sure to tell her what grade the donation is for.
Upcoming Seniors: Items for a “Gift Card Basket.” These can be gift cards in any amount from area restaurants, stores, etc. Might utilize our Scrip fundraiser to order any gift cards.
Upcoming Juniors: Items for a Family Game NIght Basket. Board games, card games, anything fun a family can do together.
Upcoming Sophomores: Items for a “Coffee, Tea & Fun Snack Basket.” K-Cups, tea bags, creamers to go in coffees, mugs, fun snacks of any kind.
Incoming Freshman: Items for a “Spa Day Basket.” Because we’re getting a late start, upper classman may have to help with this basket. Items can include lotions, gift cards for nail places or massages, Bath & Body Works, etc.
Please contact Stephanie Skeens, Sophomore Rep for 2021-22 with any questions. 502-417-4855
Oldham County Day Parade Details:
July 17, 2021 – SCHEDULE
- 7:30am band room opens
- 8:00am load equipment
- 8:45am leave for LaGrange
- 9:00am unload at parade site
- 9:15am warm up
- 9:45am in formation and lined up for parade
- 10:00am parade begins
- 11:30am approximate end of parade, load equipment and buses
- 11:45am approximate return to OCHS and unload
Students will wear:
- Khaki shorts
- Tennis shoes & socks
- 2021 Band shirt (to be passed out at rehearsal on Monday, 7/12)
2021 parade route will begin at LaGrange Elementary school, proceed east to 1st street ending at the shopping center where Southeast Christian Church and Planet Fitness are located
Students who are being picked up at the end of the parade route must notify the person in charge of taking attendance for their bus and also must make arrangements for their instrument (if the instrument is going back to the school and the student is not)
Mr. Centers will be able to offer a Music Theory course for all interested students this coming school year. The class will be offered during 2nd period and will cover both written and aural music theory knowledge and skills. This course is open to any student who desires a deeper knowledge and understanding of how music works, including musical analysis and composition. It is highly recommended for any student considering studying music in college at any level in the future.
If you are interested in this course, please email Mr. Steedly at [email protected] as soon as possible so that you can be added to this course.
This course is not just for band students. If you have a friend in choir or someone who would be interested in this course, please share this information with them.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band? Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
- The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES
Important Dates—Summer and Fall 2021
- Summer Band Rehearsals
- Mondays and Thursdays
- Starts July 5th through the first day of the school year 6:00-8:30 p.m. at OCHS
- Oldham County Day Parade
- July 17th
- Band Camp Week
- July 26-30
- 8:30 a.m—8:30 p.m. DAILY at OCHS
- After school rehearsals (marching band)
- Every Thursday; August 12—end of season
- HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- August 27th v. Shelby County
- September 10th v. Meade County
- October 7th (THURSDAY) v. Eastern (7:00 start)
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- (Fall Break October 18-22)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night)
VOLUNTEER AND SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for next year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below will have Senior parent next year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.