Weekly Band News January 10 – January 16
- Health Check Form must be completed prior to arriving at rehearsals. Health Check Link: https://forms.gle/
- Link to Instrumental Music Google Site: https://sites.google.com/
- Seating audition results should be completed by 1/15 as well as an announcement for All County Band auditions and event information.
- The next band booster meeting will be January 18th at 7:00pm via zoom.
UNIFORMS – Any questions, please e-mail [email protected]
ANY OUTSTANDING PAYMENTS – PLEASE drop checks in the lock box outside Mr. Rogers office in the band room – Concert dresses $55, Tux shirts $17 made out to “OCHS BAND BOOSTERS”.
We still have about 20 marching uniforms that have NOT yet been returned. Please return your laundered and neatly hanging uniform on an empty rack outside the uniform closet in the band room. Instructions for cleaning are posted below. Please return any borrowed Dinkles clean in the marching uniform bag.
OCHS MARCHING BAND UNIFORM CARE AND CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS
Cleaning of the Marching Band uniform is each student / parent’s responsibility at the end of the season.
Items needing cleaning:
- Bib pants
- Marching band jacket
- Borrowed Dinkles (shoes)
Make sure they are all in the bag when returning (Gauntlets do not require cleaning this year but must be returned in the uniform bag).
Things to not leave in the bag – Socks, t-shirts, trash, anything except the above.
Transport the uniform using the black uniform bag. Don’t keep or transport shoes in the bag, unless they are the borrowed Dinkles (shoes).
PLEASE USE LIQUID DETERGENT ONLY!
- Do not use powder detergent or bleach, or detergent with bleach additive. Shout can be used on stains.
WASH IN COLD WATER ALONE ON A DELICATE/MILD CYCLE
DO NOT PUT THE JACKET IN THE DRYER—HANG TO DRY
BIB PANTS CAN BE BRIEFLY PUT IN DRYER ON LOW, THEN HANG WHILE DAMP.
MAKE SURE THE UNIFORM HAS HUNG DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE RETURNING TO THE BLACK UNIFORM BAG
MAKE SURE THE STURDY METAL HANGER IT CAME HOME ON GOES BACK WITH IT.
Lost or damaged uniform parts will cost you:
Jacket= $260. Pant= $55. Gauntlets= $25
- Don’t forget to bring your HORN, INSTRUMENT COVER, MUSIC STAND and FOLDER. Jazz make sure you have your Jazz Folder.
- Auditorium Seating Chart is posted to Google Classroom. Woodwinds should enter and leave through the doors on stage left side of the area just in front of the stage; Brass/Percussion should enter from the doors in the back of the auditorium (gym lobby).
- Masks are mandatory and "social distancing" will be enforced.
- Check in at the table in the band room for temperature and attendance. HEALTH SCREENING SHOULD BE COMPLETED BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME. Health Check Link: https://forms.gle/
- If you are quarantined, or have someone in your home dealing with COVID, please advise Mr. Rogers by email and DO NOT COME TO THE SCHOOL.
We will meet with Symphonic Band II (5th period class) on Tuesday evening, from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
We will meet with Symphonic Band I (6th period class) on Wednesday evening, from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Jazz Band will meet after rehearsal 7:45-8:30.
9th grade percussionists should attend on Tuesday; all upperclassmen Percussionists should attend on Wednesday. Tuba and Euphonium players will receive special instructions from Mr. Schmidt to enable you to work on both your KMEA conference music and rehearse with the bands.
We will keep this schedule for the foreseeable future; until we are back in person every day (not A/B), that is the only way to facilitate transportation for everyone.
Parents and spectators will not be allowed to attend the rehearsals due to the restrictions.
If parents or their student are uncomfortable with this arrangement, they should let me know they will not attend. Please email with concerns [email protected].
NTI Daily Schedule (periods 1-3-5 M + Th, periods 2-4-6 T + F)
10:00 am – 10:45 am Period 1 (Monday/Thursday) or 2 (Tuesday/Friday)
11:00 am – 11:45 am Period 3 (Monday/Thursday) or 4 (Tuesday/Friday)
12:15 – 1:00 pm Period 5 (Sym. II; Monday/Thursday) or 6 (Sym. I; Tuesday/Friday)
1:15 pm-3:45 pm Office hours, virtual lessons, etc.
Wednesdays (remediation day, Advisory with period 4/Jazz ensemble)
10:00 am-10:30 am Google Meet with 4th period; attendance and advisory items
11:00-noon/1:00-3:30 Office Hours, small group virtual collaboration, individual lessons
SOLO AND ENSEMBLE
Solo and ensemble events will be set up after we get things rolling; one event (a solo or participating in a small ensemble) is a performance requirement for each student. The event will be virtual, with video recordings submitted for a rating and feedback from judges. Dates are still TBA, probably sometime late February or early March. As last year, the fee for the required event is covered by the band; additional events are paid by the students involved. More instructions to follow…
VOLUNTEER AND SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
Please consider shadowing (through the remainder of this year) and volunteering for one of the following Band Boosters needs next school year. A large part of the reason our band is so successful is because of the tremendous support of our band booster organization! If you would like to consider one of the roles please email [email protected].
- Weekly Email Communication – Coordinate with the Band Director and Board President information to be sent in weekly/bi-weekly emails. Experience with Mailchimp is helpful but not necessary.
- Spirit Wear Coordinator – Coordinate and carryout sales for fall spiritwear orders and letterman jackets.
- Alumni Coordinator – Assist in keeping alumni informed of special band events and other information that may be of interest.
- Scrip Gift Card Coordinator – Organize and facilitate Scrip Card Sales
- Photo Coordinator:
- Coordinating volunteer photographers to help take photos at games and concerts and compiling on Facebook.
- Compile/organize at least two photos per band member either individually or in a group.
- Take senior photos at the beginning of band season for buttons given to parents on Senior Night. Buttons can be made at Oldham County Arts Center.
- Organize the end of year slide show to be shown at the banquet with music from the band throughout the year. Other volunteers/parents can assist with music they have recorded.
- Web/Web Support Elect:
- Our current web coordinator and web support coordinator’s son will be graduating next year and we are in need of a volunteer to shadow with our current volunteer in this role.
- This position is important for several key reasons:
- provides a repository of documented history of the band program;
- provides a public site to allow external parties to express interest in our program and to offer support if able (in the last year, we’ve raised over $1,000 in sponsorships because of our public presence on the web!); and
- provides an easy go-to place for band booster members and band members to get information on band happenings.
- This role does require some training–training that can then be used on your resume to beef-up your technical skills! If you are interested in training with our current web and web support coordinator next year, please contact [email protected].
FUNDRAISING MADE EASY
Kroger Plus Community Rewards
OCHS Band participates in the Kroger Community Rewards program. Please register your Kroger Plus card online (same frequent shopper card you use to get Kroger’s discount prices) and link it to the Oldham County High School Band. Our band program earns 4% of what you spend at Kroger. You don’t have to do anything else except shop at Kroger. You DO NOT lose your own rewards points or fuel rewards.
If you have a KROGER PLUS card that’s already registered at www.kroger.com:
- Go to www.kroger.com/
communityrewards. Sign in to your account with your email and password.
- Click on "Enroll."
- Enter our school’s ID Number QJ874 or search for "Oldham County High School Band."
- Select "Oldham County High School Band" and hit "Enroll".
If you have a KROGER PLUS card, but have never registered it online at www.kroger.com:
- Go to www.kroger.com and click "Register" in top right-hand corner.
- From "Create an Account" page, enter the requested information. Then click "Create Account".
- Link your Kroger Plus card to your new account. This number is found on the back of your Kroger Plus card.
- Click on the Community Rewards link.
- Click on "Enroll".
- Enter our school’s QJ874 or search for "Oldham County High School Band"
- Select "Oldham County High School Band" and hit "Enroll".
- Go to smile.amazon.com
- Under Select a Charity type: Oldham County High School Band Boosters Inc
- Click “Select”
- Click the check box next to the statement “Yes, I understand that I must always start at smile.amazon.com to support Oldham County High School Band Boosters Inc.”
- Click “Start Shopping”
- You will see “Supporting: Oldham County High School Band Boosters Inc” below the search bar in Amazon each time you log in.
- Set smile.amazon.com as your favorite
- If you forget to log onto smile.amazon.com and instead, put everything into your cart at amazon.com – as long as you have not completed the purchase:
- Simply open another browser, go to smile.amazon.com and everything in your cart is there, and you can complete your purchase.
- Important Note – Using the Amazon app on your handheld device DOES NOT use Smile. Simply add the items to your cart in the amazon app, then using your handheld browser, log into smile.amazon.com to complete the purchase.
Last year, many outstanding businesses and corporations supported the Oldham County High School Band by donating goods and services for our marching and concert 2019-2020 seasons. The entire band and our many football game and concert attendees had the benefit of their generous support as they enjoyed each of our band’s musical performances. We were–and are–very grateful for their support! Corporate Sponsorships are $500 annually and the fee may be waived in exchange for services and goods that help to make the band successful each year. Examples of these goods and services include donated catering services, printing services, uniform cleaning services, web hosting services, and sign and banner production services. If you are interested in sponsoring the OCHS band for the 2020-2021 school year, please contact us. Or if you’d rather speak in person, I’m happy to stop by and talk through how your business can support our band this year. Please use the following link for additional information. https://ochs.
An OCHS Band Directory will be compiled and published among the band members this fall. Participation in the directory is completely voluntary. If you wish to be included in the directory, please complete the online form found at https://docs.google.com/
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2020-2021
President – Chad Adams
Vice President – Brandon Gossett
Secretary – Sandy Walker
Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
Senior Member-at-Large: Sonya Cook
Junior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
Sophomore Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
Freshman Members-at-Large: Natalie Dorris and Kristin Goodloe
BAND BOOSTER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
We are need of the following volunteers. Please contact [email protected] if you are interested.
- Alumni Coordinator
- Photo Coordinator
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Web Back-up Support
- Other shadowing opportunities are available. These allow you to learn the job this year so that you can do it next year!