Weekly Band News February 28 – March 6
- Health Check Form must be completed prior to arriving at rehearsals. Health Check Link: https://forms.gle/
- Link to Instrumental Music Google Site: https://sites.google.com/
- If you still need to pay for Concert Attire, PLEASE drop checks in the lock box outside Mr. Rogers office in the band room – Concert dresses $55, Tux shirts $17 made out to “OCHS BAND BOOSTERS”. Any questions, please e-mail [email protected]
- The next band booster meeting will be Monday, March 15th at 7:00pm via Zoom.
SPRING FLOWER FUNDRAISER
Spring is just around the corner! Time to think about adding flowers to your landscape!
The OCHS Band spring flower sale has you covered! Please follow the links for the order form and information on choices.
Flower Choices: https://
Flower Order Form: https://mcusercontent.
When: Sales begin March 1st – March 24th
How: Reach out to friends, family, neighbors and local businesses! All orders should be paid for when ordered and must be turned in by March 24.
Delivery: Last week of April or the first week of May.
Bonus: You don’t have to fight the crowds, the flowers will come to you! Pick up will be at the OCHS parking lot date and time TBA.
Contact: [email protected]
We appreciate your support in this fundraiser!
SAVE THE DATES
All-County Band will be held at NOHS April 15-17 at NOHS.
The Band Banquet is scheduled for May 21st at 6:00pm in the OCHS Gym.
Important Dates—Summer and Fall 2021
Marching Band Reading Session
Last Day for Students (TBA);
4:15-5:30 p.m. at OCHS
Summer Band Rehearsals
Mondays and Thursdays
Starts July 5th through the first day of the school year
6:00-8:30 p.m. at OCHS
Oldham County Day Parade
July 17th (a.m.; schedule TBA)
Band Camp Week
8:30 a.m—8:30 p.m. DAILY
After school rehearsals (marching band)
Every Thursday; August 12—end of season
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
August 27th v. Shelby County
September 10th v. Meade County
October 7th (THURSDAY) v. Eastern (7:00 start)
October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
(Fall Break October 18-22)
October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night)
Assessment events will be virtual this year; solo and ensemble festival and concert assessments at the district level will be video/audio recorded and submitted for evaluation to KMEA. Instructions have been posted to GOOGLE Classroom concerning the online entry process through Collabra (much like the All State audition process). All OCHS students are required to perform ONE EVENT for the Solo/Ensemble assessment but can enter more than one event if they wish (I would recommend no more than three total events).
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS NEEDED
As you know, each spring our Photo Coordinator creates the End-of-Year Band Video for our graduating seniors and the rest of the band members. This year has been especially challenging with getting pictures of our band members. With few public appearances to pull from, it’s important that we capture as many photos and videos as we can of our band members. We are asking you for help in doing this.
Please do the following by no later than April 30, 2021:
1. Find any band pictures or videos taken this year already, preferably in a .jpg (photo) and .mp4 (video) format.
2. Take pictures of your band student practicing at home or putting on a family performance.
3. Create a folder on your desktop and save all of your photos and videos in the folder.
4. Rename the folder in the following format using your band student’s name:
last name_first name (Example: Fuller_Katie)
5. To upload your folder to the right location, do the following:
- Click on this link: Photo Upload
- Drag and drop the folder you created into the Google folder that opens up and says, "Drop files here"
If you have any questions, please send one email to the following two email addresses:
VOLUNTEER AND SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
Band Booster Organization Position/Volunteers for NEXT year…
- We will need a committee of about 2-3 members to fill nominations for the Board Position Officers: President, President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Treasurer-elect and 4 Members at large (one for each grade). These members cannot be anyone seeking a Board Position for next year. We will probably meet in March or April to discuss nominations. If interested please email [email protected]
- Current officers who want to continue their role will need to email [email protected]
- Anyone interested in serving one of these positions needs to email [email protected]
- For current Committee/Fundraiser Coordinators, please email [email protected] if you are interested in continuing your role
Please consider shadowing (through the remainder of this year) and volunteering for one of the following Band Boosters needs next school year as many of these volunteers have graduating seniors. A large part of the reason our band is so successful is because of the tremendous support of our band booster organization! If you would like to consider one of the roles please email [email protected].
- Spirit Wear Coordinator – Coordinate and carryout sales for fall spiritwear orders and letterman jackets.
- Alumni Coordinator – Assist in keeping alumni informed of special band events and other information that may be of interest.
- Scrip Gift Card Coordinator – Organize and facilitate Scrip Card Sales
- Oldham County Day Silent Auction Coordinator – Organize and assist in gathering and organizing items for silent auction baskets for OC Day OCHS Band Booth.
- Photo Coordinator Elect for 2020/2021 (for service as Photo Coordinator 2021-2022):
- Coordinating volunteer photographers to help take photos at games and concerts and compiling on Facebook.
- Compile/organize at least two photos per band member either individually or in a group.
- Take senior photos at the beginning of band season for buttons given to parents on Senior Night. Buttons can be made at Oldham County Arts Center.
- Organize the end of year slide show to be shown at the banquet with music from the band throughout the year. Other volunteers/parents can assist with music they have recorded.
- Web/Web Support Elect for 2021/2022 (for service as Web/Web Support Coordinator 2022-2023):
- Our current web coordinator and web support coordinator’s son will be graduating next year and we are in need of a volunteer to shadow with our current volunteer in this role.
- This position is important for several key reasons:
- provides a repository of documented history of the band program;
- provides a public site to allow external parties to express interest in our program and to offer support if able (in the last year, we’ve raised over $1,000 in sponsorships because of our public presence on the web!); and
- provides an easy go-to place for band booster members and band members to get information on band happenings.
- This role does require some training–training that can then be used on your resume to beef-up your technical skills! If you are interested in training with our current web and web support coordinator next year, please contact [email protected].
- Don’t forget to bring your HORN, INSTRUMENT COVER, MUSIC STAND and FOLDER. Jazz make sure you have your Jazz Folder.
- Auditorium Seating Chart is posted to Google Classroom. Woodwinds should enter and leave through the doors on stage left side of the area just in front of the stage; Brass/Percussion should enter from the doors in the back of the auditorium (gym lobby).
- Masks are mandatory and "social distancing" will be enforced.
- Check in at the table in the band room for temperature and attendance. HEALTH SCREENING SHOULD BE COMPLETED BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME. Health Check Link: https://forms.gle/
- If you are quarantined, or have someone in your home dealing with COVID, please advise Mr. Rogers by email and DO NOT COME TO THE SCHOOL.
We will meet with Symphonic Band II (5th period class) on Tuesday evening, from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
We will meet with Symphonic Band I (6th period class) on Wednesday evening, from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Jazz Band will meet after rehearsal 7:45-8:30.
9th grade percussionists should attend on Tuesday; all upperclassmen Percussionists should attend on Wednesday. Tuba and Euphonium players will receive special instructions from Mr. Schmidt to enable you to work on both your KMEA conference music and rehearse with the bands.
We will keep this schedule for the foreseeable future; until we are back in person every day (not A/B), that is the only way to facilitate transportation for everyone.
Parents and spectators will not be allowed to attend the rehearsals due to the restrictions.
If parents or their student are uncomfortable with this arrangement, they should let me know they will not attend. Please email with concerns [email protected].
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2020-2021
President – Chad Adams
Vice President – Brandon Gossett
Secretary – Sandy Walker
Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
Senior Member-at-Large: Sonya Cook
Junior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
Sophomore Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
Freshman Members-at-Large: Natalie Dorris and Kristin Goodloe