Weekly Band News February 14 – February 20
If you are one of the students who missed getting your instrument or other materials out of the band room last week prior to the snowmageddon of Thursday and Friday, I will be in the band room Sunday from 12 noon-2:00 p.m. for anyone who needs access to your instrument. YOU WILL NEED YOUR HORN AND MUSIC if we are out again on Monday (see below).
Going forward, EVERY DAY WE ARE OUT FOR SNOW I will be holding DAILY Google Meets for ALL CLASSES. EVERYONE on the A or the B schedule should attend the Meet every day (just like you’re expected to do on your virtual day now). Exceptions would be made if you are to attend a virtual sectional scheduled by your section coach. We will be working as a TOTAL GROUP in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th period Meets on our current music, Sight Reading Factory, and music theory assignments. CAMERAS ON, Mic muted until called upon!
I WILL ALSO BE HOLDING OUR USUAL EVENING FULL ENSEMBLE REHEARSALS on Tuesday (Symphonic II) and Wednesday (Symphonic I/Jazz Ensemble) through Google Meet at 6:00 p.m. You will use the QR that is normally used to check in for attendance at the end of the rehearsal.
Hopefully this won’t be needed more than during this coming week. I feel we have to do what we can to keep things going until spring arrives…
Other stuff of note for the week of Feb. 15-19:
Monday is supposed to be a "make up day" for last Friday; I have not seen an announcement yet about what will happen if we get more winter weather Sunday night. Regardless, we will have our Meets as described above.
Boosters meet Monday night via Zoom at 7:00 p.m. ZOOM Information is at the bottom of this email.
Tuba-Euphonium ensemble performs Monday night at 7:45 p.m. in the KMEA Virtual In-Service Conference.
Expect to see instructions for entering your event(s) in the KMEA Virtual Solo and Ensemble Assessment by the end of the week. All are required to participate and perform in ONE event (either a solo or a small ensemble–duet, trio, quartet, quintet or section choir). The band will pay your fees for the first event you enter; additional events can be performed (I would suggest no more than three total events), but you will be responsible for the fee ($7.00 solo/$12.00 ensemble) on any additional events entered. Registration will be done through the Collabra Music format (including online payment of entry fees).
Friday is supposed to be another "vaccination day" for teachers. Weather late week could have an impact on all of this, so check the Classroom stream and booster emails for the latest on any changes.
There was mention of "adjusting" the A/B calendar to balance missed days, but that has not been finalized–and probably won’t until we have a better idea of how out of balance they will be at the end of the winter weather.
We are no doubt redefining the words ‘flexibility’ and ‘contradiction’ as we continue to deal with the pandemic! Hope to see all of you in-person again soon!
All County: the band directors at the three Oldham County high schools will meet on our teacher work day (Feb. 19th) to discuss program selections and the possibility of adding members to some sections of the band (replacing members who didn’t pay the participation fee, dropped out due to COVID concerns, etc.). If you didn’t submit an audition recording, missed the deadline, wish you’d auditioned, etc. and want to be considered for addition to the group, please talk with me individually and I’ll do what I can to get you "in". Tentative dates: April 15-17 at NOHS.
FEBRUARY BAND BOOSTER MEETING
OCHS BAND BOOSTER MEETING WILL BE MONDAY, FEBRUARY 15TH AT 7:00 p.m. Via ZOOM. Band Boosters meet monthly to inform parents of upcoming events, budget, upcoming fundraisers and much more. Your input is greatly appreciated and important as we work together in providing what is best for every student and the OCHS Band Program as a whole. We hope you will attend.
Join Zoom Meeting by Clicking HERE
Meeting ID: 350 134 0074
Agenda can be found by Clicking HERE.
SAVE THE DATES
Important Dates—Summer and Fall 2021
Marching Band Reading Session
Last Day for Students (TBA);
4:15-5:30 p.m. at OCHS
Summer Band Rehearsals
Mondays and Thursdays
Starts July 5th through the first day of the school year
6:00-8:30 p.m. at OCHS
Oldham County Day Parade
July 17th (a.m.; schedule TBA)
Band Camp Week
8:30 a.m—8:30 p.m. DAILY
After school rehearsals (marching band)
Every Thursday; August 12—end of season
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
August 27th v. Shelby County
September 10th v. Meade County
October 7th (THURSDAY) v. Eastern (7:00 start)
October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
(Fall Break October 18-22)
October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night)
PHOTOS AND VIDEOS NEEDED
As you know, each spring our Photo Coordinator creates the End-of-Year Band Video for our graduating seniors and the rest of the band members. This year has been especially challenging with getting pictures of our band members. With few public appearances to pull from, it’s important that we capture as many photos and videos as we can of our band members. We are asking you for help in doing this.
Please do the following by no later than April 30, 2021:
1. Find any band pictures or videos taken this year already, preferably in a .jpg (photo) and .mp4 (video) format.
2. Take pictures of your band student practicing at home or putting on a family performance.
3. Create a folder on your desktop and save all of your photos and videos in the folder.
4. Rename the folder in the following format using your band student’s name:
last name_first name (Example: Fuller_Katie)
5. To upload your folder to the right location, do the following:
- Click on this link: Photo Upload
- Drag and drop the folder you created into the Google folder that opens up and says, "Drop files here"
If you have any questions, please send one email to the following two email addresses:
VOLUNTEER AND SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
Please consider shadowing (through the remainder of this year) and volunteering for one of the following Band Boosters needs next school year. A large part of the reason our band is so successful is because of the tremendous support of our band booster organization! If you would like to consider one of the roles please email email@example.com.
- Weekly Email Communication – Coordinate with the Band Director and Board President information to be sent in weekly/bi-weekly emails. Experience with Mailchimp is helpful but not necessary.
- Spirit Wear Coordinator – Coordinate and carryout sales for fall spiritwear orders and letterman jackets.
- Alumni Coordinator – Assist in keeping alumni informed of special band events and other information that may be of interest.
- Scrip Gift Card Coordinator – Organize and facilitate Scrip Card Sales
- Photo Coordinator:
- Coordinating volunteer photographers to help take photos at games and concerts and compiling on Facebook.
- Compile/organize at least two photos per band member either individually or in a group.
- Take senior photos at the beginning of band season for buttons given to parents on Senior Night. Buttons can be made at Oldham County Arts Center.
- Organize the end of year slide show to be shown at the banquet with music from the band throughout the year. Other volunteers/parents can assist with music they have recorded.
- Web/Web Support Elect:
- Our current web coordinator and web support coordinator’s son will be graduating next year and we are in need of a volunteer to shadow with our current volunteer in this role.
- This position is important for several key reasons:
- provides a repository of documented history of the band program;
- provides a public site to allow external parties to express interest in our program and to offer support if able (in the last year, we’ve raised over $1,000 in sponsorships because of our public presence on the web!); and
- provides an easy go-to place for band booster members and band members to get information on band happenings.
- This role does require some training–training that can then be used on your resume to beef-up your technical skills! If you are interested in training with our current web and web support coordinator next year, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE TO RESUME FEBRUARY 22
- Don’t forget to bring your HORN, INSTRUMENT COVER, MUSIC STAND and FOLDER. Jazz make sure you have your Jazz Folder.
- Auditorium Seating Chart is posted to Google Classroom. Woodwinds should enter and leave through the doors on stage left side of the area just in front of the stage; Brass/Percussion should enter from the doors in the back of the auditorium (gym lobby).
- Masks are mandatory and "social distancing" will be enforced.
- Check in at the table in the band room for temperature and attendance. HEALTH SCREENING SHOULD BE COMPLETED BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME. Health Check Link: https://forms.gle/
- If you are quarantined, or have someone in your home dealing with COVID, please advise Mr. Rogers by email and DO NOT COME TO THE SCHOOL.
We will meet with Symphonic Band II (5th period class) on Tuesday evening, from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
We will meet with Symphonic Band I (6th period class) on Wednesday evening, from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Jazz Band will meet after rehearsal 7:45-8:30.
9th grade percussionists should attend on Tuesday; all upperclassmen Percussionists should attend on Wednesday. Tuba and Euphonium players will receive special instructions from Mr. Schmidt to enable you to work on both your KMEA conference music and rehearse with the bands.
We will keep this schedule for the foreseeable future; until we are back in person every day (not A/B), that is the only way to facilitate transportation for everyone.
Parents and spectators will not be allowed to attend the rehearsals due to the restrictions.
If parents or their student are uncomfortable with this arrangement, they should let me know they will not attend. Please email with concerns Bradford.email@example.com.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2020-2021
President – Chad Adams
Vice President – Brandon Gossett
Secretary – Sandy Walker
Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
Senior Member-at-Large: Sonya Cook
Junior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
Sophomore Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
Freshman Members-at-Large: Natalie Dorris and Kristin Goodloe