Weekly Band News: Aug 8 – Aug 14
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The final Summer Band Rehearsal is Aug 9th. Thursday after school practices start this Thursday (8/12) from 4-6 pm
- SEEKING MARCHING UNIFORM COMMITTEE MEMBERS! No experience necessary. Areas of need include: washing/care of marching uniforms, hemming of pants, helping students dress in uniform before ball games, pluming of shako hats (before/after games), helping with uniform fittings in the spring. If you are interested in helping in one or more of the following or have any additional questions, please contact us at email@example.com. Thank you in advance for all our volunteers!
- The Oldham County High School Symphonic Band 1 has been selected to perform at the KMEA Professional Development Conference in Feb. 2022. This is a great honor. More details will be shared at a later date.
- Mr. Centers will be using Remind to communicate with the band as needed this year. Please see the section below for details on signing up and staying in the know!
- We are in the process of compiling a band directory. Please opt in to including your student and family information here to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form using this link.
- Summer Packet Documents can be accessed at this link.
NOTE: Students were given a copy of the Drug Form. Please complete and return this form. Here is a link to the form if needed.
- For anyone who missed uniform fitting last week, we will have a make up session prior to practice on Monday from 5 – 6 pm. If you cannot make that please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make different arrangements.
- Our 2022 Band Trip will be April 2-8, 2022 (during spring break) and we will be traveling to Orlando, FL and visiting Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. See the trip section below for access to details!
- The first trip payment is due this Friday, August 13th. There will be a parent collecting these before Monday’s practice and after Thursday’s practice.
- Students can also drop payments off in the black drop box by Mr. Center’s office by the end of the school day on Friday.
- We are looking for a couple of people to serve on a trip committee. This committee will help organize paperwork & details for the trip. Please email email@example.com if interested.
- Reminder to all parents who are using school instruments (this includes all percussion)—Please turn in your completed instrument rental form along with a check for $80 made payable to Oldham County Band Boosters as soon as possible. Someone will be available to collect this at the beginning of practice. Your student can also turn in money in the black safe located by Mr. Center’s office.
- Fundraising Reminders:
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information:
- Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information:
- We have openings for Committee Coordinators. See the listing below and email President@ochs.band if interested.
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN UP FOR REMIND TEXTS
OPTION 1: If you have a smartphone, get push notifications.
On your iPhone or Android phone,
● Open your web browser and go to the following link:rmd.at/ocband22 ● Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind.
● You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app. rmd.at/ocband22
● Join OCBAND** (use the appropriate numbers here for your student’s graduation year)
You will need to sign up for the “class” that represents your student’s graduation year
● SENIORS: OCBAND22
● JUNIORS: OCBAND23
● SOPHOMORES: OCBAND24
● FRESHMAN: OCBAND25
● Full Name First and Last Name, Phone Number or Email Address
EX: (555) 555-5555
If you don’t have a smartphone, in order to receive text notifications:
● Text the message @ocband** (use the appropriate graduation year numbers here) to the number 81010.
● If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @ocband** (see note above) to (502) 603-6027.
SUMMER MARCHING BAND REHEARSAL & PACKET INFORMATION
Our remaining summer marching band practice will be:
- Monday August 9, 6-8:30
Attendance is expected at summer band rehearsal if you are in town. If you’re on vacation or out of town for any of these dates, please notify Mr. Centers atDavid.Centers@oldham.kyschools.us. Whenever possible, please provide advance notice of any conflicts. Summer Packet Information has been uploaded to the band website and can be accessed using this link. This information will not be printed by the OCHS BAND Boosters and will need to be printed at home. The Medical Release form will need to be notarized. The Oldham County Public Library (Main Branch) will notarize documents at no cost by appointment only. You may call and make an appointment at 502-222-9713. Be sure to bring a photo ID for the notarizing process. All forms will need to be turned in as soon as possible. Please refer to the DOCUMENTS Tab under the STUDENTS Section on the OCHS Band Website https://ochs.band/students/documents.NEW TO BAND PARENT INFORMATION:
“NEW TO BAND” Band Parent Meeting Follow Up: Information about what goes on during the band year and how the boosters help make the band happen was shared at a meeting this past Monday. If you were unable to attend or would like another look, the New to Band Parent Meeting Information can be found at this link.
BAND TRIP 2022
Below is a link to the documents handed out during the Band Trip Meeting on Monday along with an additional sheet that has information for Parents/Families that want to book the trip without the Bus Transportation ($400 less). Video recordings of the meeting are also included but will only be available until Aug 13th.
For those that want to book the package without Transportation, you will need to arrange your own transportation while in Orlando. We will be staying at the Springhill Suites Orlando Lake Buena Vista in Marriott Village. It looks like they may have their own transportation to the Disney parks but not to Universal.
We also have created a signup genius for those who want to attend as chaperones as a way to 1) make sure we have the required number of chaperones for the trip and 2) to allow those wanting to be chaperones to coordinate room assignments with each other. Please fill this out if you are planning to attend as a chaperone.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates—Summer & Fall 2021
Summer Band Rehearsals: Mondays & Thursdays
- Starts July 5th through the first day of the school year 6:00-8:30 p.m. at OCHS
August 4, Uniform Fitting Night
After School Rehearsals (marching band)
- Every Thursday; August 12—end of season
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- August 27th v. Shelby County
- September 10th v. Meade County
- October 7th (THURSDAY) v. Eastern (7:00 start)
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- (Fall Break October 18-22)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night)
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below will have Senior parent next year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email President@ochs.band if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email President@ochs.band or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails usingthis Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.