Weekly Band News: Aug 29 – Sept 4
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Tux Fitting this week on Aug 31st for any male returning students not yet fitted and for all freshman. See details below. PLEASE SIGN UP HERE!
- Next Football Game is September 10th. We will need volunteers for this game as well.
- Fall Football Game Help (setting up, selling ice cream, monitoring equipment/stands…) Sign uphere!
- Thank you to everyone who volunteered to make our first football game & halftime show so fantastic! Our kids were fed, suited up and performed beautifully!
- We are looking for an outdoor location to photograph the Sym. 1 Band for the KMEA Conference program that highlights Oldham County. Any ideas, please send to Mr. Centers
- Thursday after school practices are from 4-6 pm through October.
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this linkto order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- SEEKING MARCHING UNIFORM COMMITTEE MEMBERS! No experience necessary. Areas of need include: washing/care of marching uniforms, hemming of pants, helping students dress in uniform before ball games, pluming of shako hats (before/after games), helping with uniform fittings in the spring. If you are interested in helping in one or more of the following or have any additional questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you in advance for all our volunteers!
- We are in the process of compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form using this link.
- 2022 Orlando Band Trip: See the trip section below for access to details!
- Fundraising Reminders:
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information:
- Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
We have openings for Committee Coordinators. See the listing below and email President@ochs.band if interested.
CONCERT UNIFORM FITTING NIGHTS
Please see dates and times below. Returning females that currently have hemmed concert gown that fits DO NOT need to attend. Families with multiple students may select ONE TIME to attend. Please email email@example.com for any conflicts or questions.
Students should arrive in T-shirt & light weight shorts to wear under uniform. There will be NO changing in the band room. All freshman students and any returning students needing to order new tux shirt or gown need to bring payment to fitting.
MEN – $17 (cash or check to “OCHS band boosters”)
WOMEN – $55 (cash or check to “OCHS band boosters”)
Tuesday, August 31st (Men’s uniform only, any returning students and all freshman)
- 6-7 pm Brass
- 7-8 pm Percussion/Woodwinds
Thursday, September 2nd (Women’s uniform, freshman)
- 6-7 pm (immediately after band practice)
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN UP FOR REMIND TEXTS
OPTION 1: If you have a smartphone, get push notifications.
On your iPhone or Android phone,
● Open your web browser and go to the following link:rmd.at/ocband22 ● Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind.
● You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app. rmd.at/ocband22
● Join OCBAND** (use the appropriate numbers here for your student’s graduation year)
You will need to sign up for the “class” that represents your student’s graduation year
● SENIORS: OCBAND22
● JUNIORS: OCBAND23
● SOPHOMORES: OCBAND24
● FRESHMAN: OCBAND25
● Full Name First and Last Name, Phone Number or Email Address
EX: (555) 555-5555
If you don’t have a smartphone, in order to receive text notifications:
● Text the message @ocband** (use the appropriate graduation year numbers here) to the number 81010.
● If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @ocband** (see note above) to (502) 603-6027.
“NEW TO BAND” PARENT INFORMATION:
“NEW TO BAND” Band Parent Meeting Follow Up: Information about what goes on during the band year and how the boosters help make the band happen was shared at a recent meeting. If you were unable to attend or would like another look, the New to Band Parent Meeting Information can be found at this link.
BAND TRIP 2022
Below is a link to the documents handed out during the Band Trip Meeting along with an additional sheet that has information for Parents/Families that want to book the trip without the Bus Transportation ($400 less).
- The next payment is due September 10th.
- Band Trip Info from Taylor Tours: Below is a link that will allow you to purchase the Group Travel Protection Plan for your trip. Rates are based on overall trip cost and not age. You will need to enter your full trip cost for accurate coverage. You will need to make your purchase prior to final trip payment in order to qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver. Please view the group marketing for rates and schedule of coverages then click the link to purchase. You can purchase one plan at a time. For questions on the plan, coverage or procedures, please contact the Group Desk at Travel Insured 844‑440‑8113.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates—Summer & Fall 2021
(Football Games are in their own section below.)
- After School Rehearsals (marching band)
- Every Thursday; August 12—end of marching season
- Wed., Sept 29: UofL All-State Workshop (optional, no fee)
- Wed., Oct 13: Halloween Concert with OCMS & EOMS at OCMS
- Fall Break October 18-22
- Sat., Nov. 13: UofL Marching Band Day (optional – $20 fee)
- Sat., Nov. 20: All-State First Round Auditions (All-District Auditions) @ OCHS
- Sat., Dec. 11: All-State Final Round Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Sat. Dec. 11: All-State Jazz Band Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Fri.-Sat., Jan. 7-8: All-District Band Weekend
- Tue., Jan. 25: KMEA Conference Preview Performance (Symphonic Band 1)
- Wed.-Sat., Feb. 2-5: KMEAAll-State Ensembles and State Conference
- Fri., Feb. 4: KMEA Conference Performance at KICC (Louisville) (Symphonic Band 1)
- Sat. March 5: KMEA Solo and Ensemble Assessment at NOHS
- Tues., March 8: KMEAAssessment Preview Concert at OCHS
- Wed.-Fri., March 16-18: KMEA Large Ensemble Assessment (exact date/time will be set by KMEA)
- April 2-8: OCHS Florida Band Trip (optional)
- Week of April 18: Recital Night (Date TBD)
- Week of April 25: Chamber Ensemble Concert (Date TBD)
- Week of May 16: GALA Concert (Date TBD)
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- September 10th v. Meade County, Marching Band Home Game
- October 8th v. Eastern (7:00 start) Marching Band Home Game
- 8 th Grade Night
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night) Marching Band Home Game
- Senior Night
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below will have Senior parent next year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email President@ochs.band if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email President@ochs.band or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails usingthis Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.