Weekly Band News: Aug 1 – Aug 7
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND REMINDERS
- A huge thank you to everyone who stepped up to make band camp, the potluck and the pool party happen. It is wonderful to see our band come together as the students make great memories!
- A Note from Mr. Centers:
- I want to take time to thank everyone, students and parents, for a great band camp. You have all welcomed me graciously with much support and encouragement. Thank you to the parents who helped in so many ways including morning check-in, icing down water bottles, checking out instruments, sizing uniforms, organizing paperwork, and feeding the band staff! Thank you to the students for showing up, coming each day with great attitudes, working hard, accepting me as your new band director and being willing to try new things and going all in so that we had a great start to our 2021 marching season!
Thank you all so very much! Mr. C
- Summer Band Rehearsals will continue this week and leading up to school resuming. These rehearsals are very important to keep the band moving forward with the progress we made at band camp.
- The remaining summer practice dates are August 2nd, August 5th & August 9th.
- NOTE: On Monday 8/2/21, rehearsal will end at 7:30pm as there is a Band Trip meeting for students and parents from 7:30-8:30pm.
- The Oldham County High School Symphonic Band 1 has been selected to perform at the KMEA Professional Development Conference in Feb. 2022. This is a great honor. More details will be shared at a later date.
- Mr. Centers will be using Remind to communicate with the band as needed this year. Please see the section below for details on signing up and staying in the know!
- We are in the process of compiling a band directory. Please opt in to including your student and family information here to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form using this link.
- Summer Packet Documents can be accessed at this link .
NOTE: Students were given a copy of the Drug Form last week. Please complete and return this form. Here is a link to the form if needed.
- Band Uniform Fitting Nights are August 3rd and 4th! See details in that section below.
- Our 2022 Band Trip will be April 2-8, 2022 (during spring break) and we will be traveling to Orlando, FL and visiting Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. There will be a special Band trip meeting at 7:30 pm on Monday, Aug 2nd, in the Auditorium where Ron Roth from Taylor Tours will go through the details and answer any questions. Click on this link for the 1 page summary from the Booster meeting for more information on the trip!
- Reminder to all parents who are using school instruments (this includes all percussion)—Please turn in your completed instrument rental form along with a check for $80 made payable to Oldham County Band Boosters as soon as possible. Someone will be available to collect this at the beginning of tomorrow’s practice and in the morning of Monday of Band camp. Your student can also turn in money in the black safe located by Mr. Center’s office.
- Fundraising Reminders:
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information:
- Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information:
- “NEW TO BAND” Band Parent Meeting Follow Up: Information about what goes on during the band year and how the boosters help make the band happen was shared at a meeting this past Monday. If you were unable to attend or would like another look, the New to Band Parent Meeting Information can be found at this link.
- We have openings for Committee Coordinators. See the listing below and email President@ochs.band if interested.
BAND UNIFORM FITTING NIGHT
All students will be fitted for marching uniforms during their assigned section times. Families with multiple students may select one time to attend. Seniors needing new concert attire will also need to attend.
Tuesday and Wednesday
- Students should arrive in T-shirt and light weight shorts to wear under uniform. Those with hair below collar should also have hair up in high bun for hat fitting.
- NO monies will be collected during this time. Any questions or conflicts with scheduling please email uniform@OCHS.band.
Tuesday, August 3rd
- 6:00 Trumpets
- 6:30 Trombone
- 7:00 Euphonium & Tuba
- 7:30 Horn
Wednesday, August 4th
- 6:00 Percussion
- 6:30 Sax, Bassoon & Oboe
- 7:00 Clarinet
- 7:30 Flute
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN UP FOR REMIND TEXTS
OPTION 1: If you have a smartphone, get push notifications.
On your iPhone or Android phone,
● Open your web browser and go to the following link: rmd.at/ocband22 ● Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind.
● You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app. rmd.at/ocband22
● Join OCBAND** (use the appropriate numbers here for your student’s graduation year)
You will need to sign up for the “class” that represents your student’s graduation year
● SENIORS: OCBAND22
● JUNIORS: OCBAND23
● SOPHOMORES: OCBAND24
● FRESHMAN: OCBAND25
● Full Name First and Last Name, Phone Number or Email Address
EX: (555) 555-5555
If you don’t have a smartphone, in order to receive text notifications:
● Text the message @ocband** (use the appropriate graduation year numbers here) to the number 81010.
● If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @ocband** (see note above) to (502) 603-6027.
SUMMER MARCHING BAND REHEARSAL & PACKET INFORMATION
Our remaining summer marching band practices will be:
- Monday, August 2 6-7:30
- Thursday, August 4, 6-8:30
- Monday August 9, 6-8:30
Attendance is expected at summer band rehearsal if you are in town. If you’re on vacation or out of town for any of these dates, please notify Mr. Centers atDavid.Centers@oldham.kyschools.us. Whenever possible, please provide advance notice of any conflicts. This makes a difference as the Director and Coaches plan ahead to make the best use of all practice sessions. Failure to contact Mr. Centers to resolve summer band rehearsal date conflicts will result in you not having a spot in the marching band’s halftime show. If you have not attended a summer band rehearsal and have not notified Mr. Centers for the reason(s) of your absence, do not expect to have a spot in the marching band show that will be taught at band camp.
Students should have their music prepared and placed in a flip folder for summer rehearsals. If you have not yet picked up a music packet, you may do so at any summer rehearsal, a drum major or band director can help you find the music packets.
Flip folders and music lyres are also available to purchase from the band boosters at summer rehearsals and should be taken care of prior to the first day of band camp.
Students should dress comfortably to practice outside and wear appropriate tennis shoes and socks for rehearsals.
- In order to keep students hydrated throughout summer band rehearsals, we ask that each band student bring in a case of bottled water. Thank you to those who have already sent this in, if you have not had a chance yet your student can still bring a case in this week!
- Materials to Purchase through the Band Program at Rehearsals:
- Flip Folios for $8.00.
- Lyre Prices: Baritone $8; Mellophone $13; Trombone $12; Trumpet $7; Bach Combo $19; Clarinet $8; Sax $8; and Drum $11
Summer Packet Information has been uploaded to the band website and can be accessed using this link. This information will not be printed by the OCHS BAND Boosters and will need to be printed at home. The Medical Release form will need to be notarized. The Oldham County Public Library (Main Branch) will notarize documents at no cost by appointment only. You may call and make an appointment at 502-222-9713. Be sure to bring a photo ID for the notarizing process. All forms will need to be turned in as soon as possible. Please refer to the DOCUMENTS Tab under the STUDENTS Section on the OCHS Band Websitehttps://ochs.band/students/documents.
Mr. Centers will be able to offer a Music Theory course for all interested students this coming school year. The class will be offered during 2nd period and will cover both written and aural music theory knowledge and skills. This course is open to any student who desires a deeper knowledge and understanding of how music works, including musical analysis and composition. It is highly recommended for any student considering studying music in college at any level in the future.
If you are interested in this course, please email Mr. Steedly at email@example.com as soon as possible so that you can be added to this course.
This course is not just for band students. If you have a friend in choir or someone who would be interested in this course, please share this information with them.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email email@example.com.
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates—Summer and Fall 2021
Summer Band Rehearsals: Mondays & Thursdays
- Starts July 5th through the first day of the school year 6:00-8:30 p.m. at OCHS
Band Trip Meeting
- August 2, 7:30pm, OCHS Auditorium
August 3 & 4, Uniform Fitting Nights
After School Rehearsals (marching band)
- Every Thursday; August 12—end of season
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- August 27th v. Shelby County
- September 10th v. Meade County
- October 7th (THURSDAY) v. Eastern (7:00 start)
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- (Fall Break October 18-22)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night)
VOLUNTEER AND SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below will have Senior parent next year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email President@ochs.band if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email President@ochs.band or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails usingthis Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.