Weekly Band News: April 17 – April 23
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- The April Boosters meeting will be held on Monday, April 18 at 7:00pm.
- The Final Band Concert will be held on Monday, May 16 at the OCHS Auditorium
- This concert will feature all our band classes
- END OF YEAR SLIDESHOW PICTURES DUE BY THURSDAY, April 21! End-of-Year Slideshow Pictures: If you have pictures you want to be considered for the end-of-year slideshow, please upload them to this location by Thursday, April 21. Please drop in the main folder (not in the subfolders) that the link jumps to. That’s how the Photo Coordinator knows these are new pictures to be considered for the slideshow. If you have any trouble loading, you may email the pictures to [email protected]. It is a tradition to have a slideshow at our end of year celebration – pictures and videos saved here are the perfect way to be sure all band members and events are celebrated!
- Graduation will be held on Saturday, May 28 at the Kentucky International Convention Center (Please note the update to the location). We have been asked by the administration to provide music for the ceremony. This is after school has concluded for the year, however we will need freshman, sophomore, and junior students to perform for this very special occasion.
- Current Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior students must notify Mr. Centers in writing by May 1 if they cannot attend this performance.
- Drum Major audition packets are available in the band room for all students interested in auditioning for a Drum Major position for 2022-23 school year
- Attention Senior Parents–Wyatt Scholarship Application were sent in Google Classroom. These are due on April 20th.
- We need 3-5 Junior Parents to help read through applications and select the Wyatt Scholarship winner between the April 20th deadline and the Band Banquet on April 29th.
- PRISM Concert: An OCHS Band Chamber Ensemble Concert will be held on Tuesday, April 26 at 7PM in the OCHS Auditorium
- Performing students will meet in the auditorium at 5:00pm for a staging rehearsal
- Performing students should wear all black
- Concert Begins at 7:00pm (Auditorium will open at 6:30pm for audience, the balcony will be closed to the audience)
- Band Trip follow up:
- Members of the OCHS Band traveled to Orlando, FL this past week and participated in the Disney Imagination Workshop for high school band students. The students recorded several songs, one of which was added to a scene from The Lion King. These are shared with students for a limited time via google classroom. Due to copyright restrictions, we are not permitted to duplicate and distribute to families and/or post on any internet sites such as YouTube or Facebook.
- Mr. Centers would like to thank all the parents/adults who traveled with the band to make this trip possible by serving as chaperones. This trip would not have been possible without your help – thank you very much!
- We had a few items left behind: a dinosaur claw necklace and a black umbrella. These items have been placed in the band room’s lost and found by the exterior door
- The 6th and 7th Period Bands along with the Percussion students have qualified for KMEA State Concert Assessment. This will occur at the University of Louisville on May 9 or 10 and will be scheduled by KMEA officials by mid-April.
- The OCHS Trumpet Ensemble will present a concert on Friday, May 6 at OCHS Auditorium.
- Stephen Foster Music Camp
- EKU is offering a full scholarship to the Foster Music Camp. More information below:
- All information and forms can be accessed from the webpage this year
- Please make students aware that they will need to attach two documents with their application.
- Please attach a one-page essay describing how music has affected their life. Please include what you hope to learn from this experience.
- Please attach a teacher recommendation letter from either your school band instructor or your band teacher
- All applications should be received by April 23rd.
- Selection will be made by May 1st
- Solo and Ensemble Assessment Event (S&E) RECAP
- All students must fill out the Google Form found in their Google Classroom to receive their final credit for S&E
- Any student who was ill or missed their performance at S&E for an excused absence must make up the S&E performance with Mr. Centers to receive their performance grade. See Mr. C to schedule an appointment
- The Band Banquet date has been set for Friday, April 29th
- Spring Flower Fundraiser
- Flowers will be delivered Wednesday, April 27 and can be picked up after school.
- We will need 5 or 6 parents to help with the delivery on April 27 at 1:00pm
- Concert Recording from December Band Concert
- There are two CD/DVD recordings that have not been picked up. These are located on the dry erase board in the band room
- If you ordered an audio recording (MP3) that was to be emailed to you and you have not yet received it, please contact Brad Ritchie at [email protected]
- School Musical
- Schedule for Pit Orchestra
- We had to add a rehearsal to Tues. April 12 4:00-6:30pm due to slow progress from the May 30 rehearsal
- A roster for Pit Orchestra has been posted
- Schedule for Pit Orchestra
- Summer Band Dates:
- 2022-2023 Officers and Coordinators
- As we turn the page to 2022, the OCHS Band Boosters is looking for parents to volunteer for next year in Committee Coordinator positions. Many of the parents that currently hold these positions are Senior parents and we want to make sure there is enough time for transition to happen.
- Per our bylaws, Officer nominations are required by the March Band Booster Meeting and the election will be held during the April meeting.
- Descriptions for all the Officer positions and the Committee Coordinator positions held by Senior parents is at the end of this email.
- Please email at [email protected] if you are interested filling a Committee Coordinator role or want more information.
- Note: One position that could use shadowing ASAP is Band Web Support.
- We have someone volunteering for all Board positions. We still need Committee Coordinators.
- ALL-DISTRICT BAND RECORDINGS:
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- We are compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form using this link.
- Summer Music Camp Opportunities for high school students off campus
CONCERT BAND PRACTICE REMINDERS:
Concert Band practices will be from 4 pm – 5:15 pm on Wednesdays for Symphonic Band 1 and Thursday for Symphonic Band 2.
SIGHT READING FACTORY ACCOUNTS:
- Click here for information regarding the REQUIRED Sight Reading Factory accounts for OC Band students
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information: Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
BAND PHOTOS NEEDED!
- End-of-Year Slideshow Pictures: If you have pictures you want to be considered for the end-of-year slideshow, please upload them to this location by Thursday, April 21. Please drop in the main folder (not in the subfolders) that the link jumps to. That’s how the Photo Coordinator knows these are new pictures to be considered for the slideshow. If you have any trouble loading, you may email the pictures to [email protected]. It is a tradition to have a slideshow at our end of year celebration – pictures and videos saved here are the perfect way to be sure all band members and events are celebrated!
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Emails: Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
- Facebook: The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- Band Website
- Contact Information: For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates – 2021 & 2022 School Year
- Concert Band Rehearsals:
- Symphonic Band is on Wednesdays from 4pm – 5:15pm.
- Concert Band is on Thursday from 4 pm – 5:15 pm.
- April 26: PRISM Concert, Chamber Ensemble Concert, 7pm OCHS Auditorium
- April 27: Spring Flower Fundraiser Flower Delivery
- April 29: Band Banquet
- May 6: Trumpet Ensemble Concert, OCHS Auditorium
- May 9 or 10: KMEA State Band Assessment at UofL
- May 16: End of Year band Concert
- May 28: Graduation Ceremony (Band will perform) at KICC downtown Louisville
- July 25-29: Band Camp 2022 at OCHS
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.
Past Emails and other important information can be found on the OCHS Band Website at https://ochs.band.
2022-2023 OCHS BAND BOOSTERS OFFICER/COORDINATORS INFORMATION
There are two groups for OCHS Band Boosters: Officers and Committee Coordinators. Current holders of these positions are in theattached spreadsheet along with their email addresses.
Committee Coordinator Positions: These positions are not elected. Multiple parents can share the coordinator position if desired.
Below is a list of the committees that we currently know need to be filled for next year. The best way to find out more details on the committee’s role and responsibility is to contact the current coordinator. Current holders of these positions are in the attached spreadsheet along with their email addresses.
- Hospitality–Need 1 parent to work with last year’s coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
- Pictures/End of Year PowerPoint
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Alumni Coordinator
- All District–Need 1 parent work with parent who shadowed this year
- Drum Major Stand/Stage Setup & Breakdown
- Large Instrument Truck