Mid-Week Band News: Sept 29 – Oct 2
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- October 8 Football Game See this Link to Band Schedule.
- Help is needed for the band at future games! Visit this Sign-Up Genius to lend a hand!
- Homecoming Parade, Oct 7:
- OCHS will be hosting the annual Homecoming Parade on Thursday, Oct 7 at 7pm. The parade route will begin at OCMS and head towards the Arvin Center. This is a change of time from what was originally given to Mr. Centers.
- For this day, we will end practice at 6pm, allow students time to rest and change into their band shirt for the parade. We will then meet at 6:40pm at the “original” band practice field and move as a band to OCMS to set up for the parade. This parade should not last long as it is a short route. Students will be released at the junior lot (our current practice field).
- The application season for the 2022 Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is upon us! See the section below for details on this amazing program.
- Take a moment to read the September Directors Report here!
- Snap Raise Fundraiser update:
- We have raised $21,010 as of Wednesday, Sept 29!
- 94% of donations have come from email invites
- 0.5% have come from text invites
- 4% have come from social media invites
- You can text a link to friends and family who don’t check their emails! Find the link in your student SnapRaise account page
- We currently have 78% of students participating in this fundraiser and have tied last year’s participation
- 52% of participating students have entered 20 emails
- We can still boost our participation!
- We need your help in two ways:
- 1) add emails to your email list in Snap Raise – the goal is 20 emails each
- 2) share out the campaign on social media and through texts – you can do this inside the Snap Raise website – if you do it from the website, it will link back to the student’s account!
- Thank you for your help and support with this great fundraiser campaign!
- UofL BAND DAY – Saturday, November 13
- All band students are invited and highly encouraged to attend the UofL Marching Band Day on Saturday, November 13. Students will have the opportunity to perform on the field at the University of Louisville stadium for a halftime performance during a home football game. This is a great time and opportunity for our students.
- Sign ups for this event will be available October 4 and will be due by October 14.
- Parents will also be able to order tickets at a discounted price for this game at the time of registration for each student.
- OCHS has traditionally had the largest showing of students at this event each year!
- 2022 Orlando Band Trip:
- Payment for 2022 Orlando trip was due last Friday. Please email [email protected] if you missed this payment or if your student forgot to turn it in.
- The next payment is due on October 8th.
- See the trip section below for details!
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- Band Letter Jackets and Additional Spirit Wear
- If you wanted to turn in an order but missed the deadline, please contact Erika Watt ASAP. [email protected]) This is an elective purchase and isn’t required. A portion of the proceeds for these sales will be donated back to the band.
- October 13 “Halloween Concert”
- Our first band concert will be Wednesday, October 13 at Oldham County Middle School. Students must be in place in the gym by 5:30pm to be ready to rehearse with the 8th grade students from EOMS and OCMS. This Halloween Themed concert is always a fun event that allows our upcoming middle school students to get to know the high school students. All students will be permitted to dress up for this concert. Costumes must be appropriate and allow for the ability to perform on the instrument. The concert will begin at 7:00pm
- We are in the process of compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form usingthis link.
- We have openings for Committee Coordinators. We are in immediate need for someone to Co-Chair the All District Committee with Jennifer Otterback so that they can shadow her and be ready to lead it next year. Please email [email protected] if interested.
- Thursday after school practices are from 4-6 pm through October.
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information: Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
GOVERNOR’S SCHOOL FOR THE ARTS
The application season for the 2022 Governor’s School for the Arts (GSA) is upon us! GSA’s summer program is a transformational tuition-free experience that provides access to scholarship opportunities at nearly 30 colleges/universities, and we hope to see an applicant pool that represents the many places, identities, and perspectives of the Commonwealth!
Current high school sophomores and juniors can apply for GSA 2022 between November 3 and January 9, but GSA encourages prospective applicants to start by attending their informational webinars that begin next month on October 6 (recordings of the webinars will be made available afterward, as well).
Here are two printable flyers:
Students and their advocates may contact GSA with any questions at 502.566.5192 or [email protected].
ALL returning and freshman male students MUST be fitted for tuxedos. If you missed fitting night, contact [email protected] to schedule a fitting. Tux shirts and concert gowns will be distributed THIS WEEK. ALL payments need to be received ASAP and may be turned in at Thursday rehearsal or the box in the band room – Tux shirts $17, Gowns $55 (“OCHS Band Boosters”). No items will be distributed to students unless payment has been received. Please contact [email protected] for any payment related questions or to adjust payments.
MARCHING UNIFORM COMMITTEE
SEEKING MARCHING UNIFORM COMMITTEE MEMBERS! No experience necessary. Areas of need include: washing/care of marching uniforms, hemming of pants, helping students dress in uniform before ball games, pluming of shako hats (before/after games), helping with uniform fittings in the spring. If you are interested in helping in one or more of the following or have any additional questions, please contact us at [email protected]. Thank you in advance for all our volunteers!
We had our first “Level Up Day” recently. Take a moment to read about this and to ask your student what their level is. Students are encouraged to take the initiative and set up times to continue leveling up throughout the year!
- The Band Levels Program is a skills based learning program that takes students through the most basic skills to more advanced levels in a systematic and logical manner. Students progress through the levels at their own pace and tracks their progress through all four years of high school
- Students are graded on their levels progress (Level 1 through Level 10).
- Students have many options for “leveling up”: students can schedule a time with Mr. Centers in the morning before school, during LEAD time, after school, and during “level up days” in class. Students may also “level up” with approved private teachers and section coaches.
- Online submissions for LEVELS is now available. Students who have completed Level 1 may submit levels items online through Google Classroom using the Google Form found in Assignments. Students can still sign up for times with Mr. Centers before school, after school, or during LEAD. Students may also still “Level Up” with section coaches/lesson teachers.
BAND PHOTO REQUEST:
- Say cheese!!! Did you capture any great pics of the band in action? Please upload them to this location! It is a tradition to have a slideshow at our end of year celebration – pictures and videos saved here are the perfect way to be sure all band members and events are celebrated!
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN UP FOR REMIND TEXTS
OPTION 1: If you have a smartphone, get push notifications.
On your iPhone or Android phone,
● Open your web browser and go to the following link: rmd.at/ocband22 ● Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind.
● You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app. rmd.at/ocband22
● Join OCBAND** (use the appropriate numbers here for your student’s graduation year)
You will need to sign up for the “class” that represents your student’s graduation year
- SENIORS: OCBAND22
- JUNIORS: OCBAND23
- SOPHOMORES: OCBAND24
- FRESHMAN: OCBAND25
● Full Name First and Last Name, Phone Number or Email Address
EX: (555) 555-5555
If you don’t have a smartphone, in order to receive text notifications:
● Text the message @ocband** (use the appropriate graduation year numbers here) to the number 81010.
● If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @ocband** (see note above) to (502) 603-6027.
“NEW TO BAND” PARENT INFORMATION:
“NEW TO BAND” Band Parent Meeting Follow Up: Information about what goes on during the band year and how the boosters help make the band happen was shared at a recent meeting. If you were unable to attend or would like another look, the New to Band Parent Meeting Information can be found at this link.
BAND TRIP 2022
Below is a link to the documents handed out during the Band Trip Meeting along with an additional sheet that has information for Parents/Families that want to book the trip without the Bus Transportation ($400 less).
The next payment is due Friday, October 8th.
Band Trip Info from Taylor Tours: Below is a link that will allow you to purchase the Group Travel Protection Plan for your trip. Rates are based on overall trip cost and not age. You will need to enter your full trip cost for accurate coverage. You will need to make your purchase prior to final trip payment in order to qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver. Please view the group marketing for rates and schedule of coverages then click the link to purchase. You can purchase one plan at a time. For questions on the plan, coverage or procedures, please contact the Group Desk at Travel Insured 844‑440‑8113.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Emails: Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
- Facebook: The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- Contact Information: For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates—Summer & Fall 2021
(Football Games are in their own section below.)
- After School Rehearsals: Every Thursday; August 12—end of marching season
- Thurs. Oct 7, Homecoming Parade
- Fri. Oct 8, Band Trip Payment Due
- Mon. Oct 11, Band Booster Meeting
- Wed., Oct 13: Halloween Concert with OCMS & EOMS at OCMS
- Fall Break October 18-22
- Sat., Nov. 13: UofL Marching Band Day (optional – $20 fee)
- Sat., Nov. 20: All-State First Round Auditions (All-District Auditions) @ OCHS
- Sat., Dec. 11: All-State Final Round Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Sat. Dec. 11: All-State Jazz Band Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Fri.-Sat., Jan. 7-8: All-District Band Weekend
- Tue., Jan. 25: KMEA Conference Preview Performance (Symphonic Band 1)
- Wed.-Sat., Feb. 2-5: KMEA All-State Ensembles and State Conference
- Fri., Feb. 4: KMEA Conference Performance at KICC (Louisville) (Symphonic Band 1)
- Sat. March 5: KMEA Solo and Ensemble Assessment at NOHS
- Tues., March 8: KMEA Assessment Preview Concert at OCHS
- Wed.-Fri., March 16-18: KMEA Large Ensemble Assessment (exact date/time will be set by KMEA)
- April 2-8: OCHS Florida Band Trip (optional)
- Week of April 18: Recital Night (Date TBD)
- Week of April 25: Chamber Ensemble Concert (Date TBD)
- Week of May 16: GALA Concert (Date TBD)
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- October 8th v. Eastern (7:00 start) Marching Band Home Game, 8th Grade Night
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night) Marching Band Home Game, Senior Night
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
- Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- Committee Coordinators
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below have Senior parent this year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email [email protected] if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email [email protected] or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Treasurer-Elect – Angela Schmidt
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.