Mid-Week Band News: Aug 25 – Aug 28
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS
- Help is needed for Tux & Dress Fittings! PLEASE SIGN UP HERE! It is always wonderful to see our musicians looking and sounding their best. Thank you for helping to make this happen! See below for details on timing.
- Additional Volunteer Needs!
- Fall Football Game Help (setting up, selling ice cream, monitoring equipment/stands…) Sign up here!
- Our first home game is right around the corner – see section below for a detailed schedule for the band that day. The Boosters will provide pizza for a band tailgate meal at our first game. Various paper goods and food items are needed. Please sign up for tailgate donations here.
**Students should complete this google form to indicate their pizza order. (Cheese, Pepperoni, Sausage or Nothing)
- August Band Director comments can be viewed atthis link. **PLEASE *NOTE: The Football game listed in these comments as October 7th is now Friday, October 8th.
- Thursday after school practices are from 4-6 pm through October.
- The online band spirit wear store is open! Use this link to order additional band shirts, hats etc.
- MUMS THE WORD! Mum Orders are due today, Wednesday, August 25th. Please ensure that your order totals match the money you turn in.
- Delivery will be Thursday, September 9th. Please plan accordingly for pick up, the band has no place to store mums.
- We’re asking students to set a goal to sell at least 10 mums to help our fundraiser be a success.
- Order forms and money are due August 25
- Cash or checks payable to OCHS Band Boosters
- Here is a link to the sales flyer pictured above if you need a copy.
- SEEKING MARCHING UNIFORM COMMITTEE MEMBERS! No experience necessary. Areas of need include: washing/care of marching uniforms, hemming of pants, helping students dress in uniform before ball games, pluming of shako hats (before/after games), helping with uniform fittings in the spring. If you are interested in helping in one or more of the following or have any additional questions, please contact us at [email protected]. Thank you in advance for all our volunteers!
- Mr. Centers will be using Remind to communicate with the band as needed this year. Please see the section below for details on signing up and staying in the know!
- We are in the process of compiling a band directory. Please opt in to include your student and family information here in order to help everyone be in touch as needed! Complete the google form usingthis link.
- 2022 Orlando Band Trip: See the trip section below for access to details!
- Fundraising Reminders:
- It’s not too late to order gift cards through Scrip to earn money for the band! Here is some information:
- Website: ShopwithScrip.com
- Our Enrollment Code: D7944F4229834
- Amazon Smile: In your Amazon account, set your charity as as the “Oldham County High School Band Boosters”
- Kroger Community Rewards: Oldham County High School Band or code QJ874
We have openings for Committee Coordinators. See the listing below and email [email protected] if interested.
CONCERT UNIFORM FITTING NIGHTS
Please see dates and times below. Returning females that currently have hemmed concert gown that fits DO NOT need to attend. Families with multiple students may select ONE TIME to attend. Please email [email protected] for any conflicts or questions.
Students should arrive in T-shirt and light weight shorts to wear under uniform. There will be NO changing in the band room. All freshman students and any returning students needing to order new tux shirt or gown need to bring payment to fitting.
MEN – $17 (cash or check to “OCHS band boosters”)
WOMEN – $55 (cash or check to “OCHS band boosters”)
Tuesday, August 31st (Men’s uniform, freshman)
- 6-7 pm Brass
- 7-8 pm Percussion/Woodwinds
Thursday, September 2nd (Women’s uniform, freshman)
- 6-7 pm (immediately after band practice)
FRIDAY, 8/27 HOME GAME – BAND SCHEDULE FOR THE BIG DAY
Students will be in uniform for this game You will need BLACK CREW LENGTH SOCKS and Black Marching Shoes Wear you new band shirt and athletic shorts under uniform
- 4:30pm Tailgate food: Cafeteria (no food or drink in band room)
- The Boosters will provide pizza for a band tailgate meal at this game. Various paper goods and food items are needed. Please sign up for tailgate donations here.
- 5:15pm Rehearsal at “original” band practice field (behind school)
- 6:00pm Dress in Uniform: wear band shirt and athletic shorts under uniform
- 6:30pm All in warm up arcs outside in front of band room – Everyone with flip folders – Woodwinds bring cases – Rehearse Star Spangled Banner
- 6:45pm Line up in block
- 6:50pm March to stadium
- 7:00pm Move to bleachers (to your assigned rows)
- 7:23pm (approximate time): Star Spangled Banner -followed by School Song when OC Football Team enters
- 7:30pm Kickoff 8:30pm (approximate time)
- Halftime show – Students will have 3rd quarter to go to concessions – Be back in stands for 4th quarter
- Half Time Songs: Malaguena, (drum cadence), Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Mr. Bluesky
- Be sure to bring stand tunes and other songs in your flip folder!!!
- 10:15pm (approximate time) End of game; Band line up in block on track and return to band room 10:30pm Change out of uniforms – Hang correctly and place in garment bags properly
Let’s have a great first show!
REMIND Text for OCHS Band
Remind Texts will be used to notify parents of the OCHS Band of any special announcements or reminders
This is an optional communication that you can choose to join to be notified of special announcements and reminders
INSTRUCTIONS TO SIGN UP FOR REMIND TEXTS
OPTION 1: If you have a smartphone, get push notifications.
On your iPhone or Android phone,
● Open your web browser and go to the following link:rmd.at/ocband22 ● Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind.
● You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app. rmd.at/ocband22
● Join OCBAND** (use the appropriate numbers here for your student’s graduation year)
You will need to sign up for the “class” that represents your student’s graduation year
● SENIORS: OCBAND22
● JUNIORS: OCBAND23
● SOPHOMORES: OCBAND24
● FRESHMAN: OCBAND25
● Full Name First and Last Name, Phone Number or Email Address
EX: (555) 555-5555
If you don’t have a smartphone, in order to receive text notifications:
● Text the message @ocband** (use the appropriate graduation year numbers here) to the number 81010.
● If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @ocband** (see note above) to (502) 603-6027.
“NEW TO BAND” PARENT INFORMATION:
“NEW TO BAND” Band Parent Meeting Follow Up: Information about what goes on during the band year and how the boosters help make the band happen was shared at a recent meeting. If you were unable to attend or would like another look, the New to Band Parent Meeting Information can be found at this link.
BAND TRIP 2022
Below is a link to the documents handed out during the Band Trip Meeting along with an additional sheet that has information for Parents/Families that want to book the trip without the Bus Transportation ($400 less).
- The next payment is due September 10th.
- Band Trip Info from Taylor Tours: Below is a link that will allow you to purchase the Group Travel Protection Plan for your trip. Rates are based on overall trip cost and not age. You will need to enter your full trip cost for accurate coverage. You will need to make your purchase prior to final trip payment in order to qualify for the pre-existing medical condition waiver. Please view the group marketing for rates and schedule of coverages then click the link to purchase. You can purchase one plan at a time. For questions on the plan, coverage or procedures, please contact the Group Desk at Travel Insured 844‑440‑8113.
OLDHAM COUNTY COMMUNITY BAND
Are you or your student musician interested in joining the Oldham County Community Band?
Students who rehearse and perform with this ensemble can claim Beta or NHS community service hours…as a bonus, they’ll have a horn on their face for at least two additional hours a week, reading and performing music they won’t see in their school ensemble rehearsals! What a deal…
The OCCB has plenty of room for students on any woodwind, brass or percussion instrument, but those who play double reeds, clarinet, horn, flute or percussion would be huge in balancing the group and opening up even more repertoire possibilities.
Any kid you consider an “advanced” middle schooler (grade 2-3 capable; good readers) will be able to hang on; most high schoolers fit in right away. There is no audition or membership fee involved for students.
The group generally performs grade 3-4 concert literature, marches, popular music medleys and show tunes. The plan for post-COVID includes performances in late October/early November, Christmas, mid-winter (February/early March) and spring. Check out the informational flier here!
We communicate band news through various channels and additional channels (Google Classroom, Remind) will be added as the school year begins. Please feel free to pass this information to other new parents who may not be receiving communication yet.
- Each Sunday evening, an email is sent with details of the week’s band activities, as well as a preview of upcoming events. This is our main source of communication. If it’s a busy week, or there is new information since Sunday, a Wednesday email will be sent out as well. You may request to be placed on the email list by emailing your students Name, Grade and Instrument to [email protected].
- The Band Boosters group maintains a private Facebook group called Oldham County HS Band Boosters! You can request to join through Facebook and we’ll add you. This is a good place to get quick answers to your questions, as many people will see your post fairly quickly.
- For Band Booster questions and business, please use the band booster email [email protected].
SAVE THE DATES – Important Dates—Summer & Fall 2021
(Football Games are in their own section below.)
- After School Rehearsals (marching band)
- Every Thursday; August 12—end of marching season
- Wed., Sept 29: UofL All-State Workshop (optional, no fee)
- Wed., Oct 13: Halloween Concert with OCMS & EOMS at OCMS
- Fall Break October 18-22
- Sat., Nov. 13: UofL Marching Band Day (optional – $20 fee)
- Sat., Nov. 20: All-State First Round Auditions (All-District Auditions) @ OCHS
- Sat., Dec. 11: All-State Final Round Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Sat. Dec. 11: All-State Jazz Band Auditions @ John Hardin HS, Elizabethtown
- Fri.-Sat., Jan. 7-8: All-District Band Weekend
- Tue., Jan. 25: KMEA Conference Preview Performance (Symphonic Band 1)
- Wed.-Sat., Feb. 2-5: KMEAAll-State Ensembles and State Conference
- Fri., Feb. 4: KMEA Conference Performance at KICC (Louisville) (Symphonic Band 1)
- Sat. March 5: KMEA Solo and Ensemble Assessment at NOHS
- Tues., March 8: KMEAAssessment Preview Concert at OCHS
- Wed.-Fri., March 16-18: KMEA Large Ensemble Assessment (exact date/time will be set by KMEA)
- April 2-8: OCHS Florida Band Trip (optional)
- Week of April 18: Recital Night (Date TBD)
- Week of April 25: Chamber Ensemble Concert (Date TBD)
- Week of May 16: GALA Concert (Date TBD)
HOME FOOTBALL DATES FALL 2021 (required performances)
- August 27th v. Shelby County, Marching Band Home Game
- September 10th v. Meade County, Marching Band Home Game
- October 8th v. Eastern (7:00 start) Marching Band Home Game
- 8 th Grade Night
- October 22nd v. GRC (we will not play this game-fall break)
- October 29th v. Bullitt East (Senior night) Marching Band Home Game
- Senior Night
VOLUNTEER & SHADOWING OPPORTUNITIES
The OCHS Band Boosters is needing volunteers for open positions for the coming year. Board positions are elected positions called out in the By laws and include the officer positions and the class reps. Committee Positions are non-elected positions.
After surveying those currently serving, the following positions are open for next year:
Board (all positions except Treasurer are up for elections but the following do not have someone rerunning).
- All District Co-chair to work with previous year’s coordinator.
- Alumni Coordinator
In addition, all committee positions are always open to shadowing or additional help. The committees below will have Senior parent next year and would be great to have someone shadowing next year that could take over the following year:
- Mums Sale Coordinator
- Instrument Rental
- Band Website Support
Please email [email protected] if you are interested in filling any of the roles listed above or if you are interested in shadowing any committee. If you would like more details on each position’s role, please feel free to email [email protected] or contact the current coordinator.
BAND BOOSTER LEADERSHIP
Board Members for 2021-2022
- President – Chad Adams
- Vice President – Brandon Gossett
- Secretary – Melissa Gossett
- Treasurer – Lisa Zahradnicek
- Senior Member-at-Large: Katie Fuller
- Junior Member-at-Large: Stephanie Skeens
- Sophomore Member-at-Large: Natalie Dorris
- Freshman Members-at-Large: Mary Tatum
Access the Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List for additional names and contact emails using this Band Booster Board and Committee Leaders Contact List link.