This course is designed as an elective extension of the Symphonic Band, allowing students to learn jazz styles, improvisation, and performance through an ensemble class. An audition is required for students not enrolled in the Symphonic Band or Percussion Techniques class.
- Preparation and performance of jazz ensemble literature
- Attendance at scheduled rehearsals (after school or in school)
- Use of individual evaluation/interactive accompaniment software (SmartMusic)
- Development and evaluation of individual technique and skills on your instrument
- Performance in one or two jazz ensemble festivals (required of all members)
- Performance of music for individual evaluation (usually one or two per quarter)
- Other performances scheduled throughout the year